Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone got aims to be a politician? What thoughts do you have on achieving this? I'm really interested in this but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there....so far the most comman route seems to be to establish yourself as a local councillor first.

It would be good to make cntact with other people interested in this too...

ReputationRep:
    The worst politicians of recent times are the "career politicians" - i.e. the ones who follow the "school-college-university-researcher-party lackey-MP-Minister" route. One of the reasons put is that such people have not had experience of a life outside of the political system and that they end up too far removed from the day-to-day problems that people face. As a result, they are sometimes seen by lobbyists as much easier to "pick off" when pushing their cause, and are less likely to stick to personal principles (i.e. to rebel against the party line) because so much of where they eventually get to is based on patronage rather than building up a strong local base and/or reputation in a given field.

For example, if you are an MP who has say spent several years working in a given field (say as a worker for a large manufacturer, as a legal aid lawyer or in small business) while serving as a local councillor thus building up your local base, you are much more likely to be a more effective politician than someone whose career has been completely inside of the system.

John Major's autobiography will give you an idea of the type of people I'm talking about - newly elected younger MPs anxious to become ministers as soon as possible.

My advice would be to get some experience of public service delivery - i.e. where you are dealing with stuff at the sharp end (for example with the homeless, disadvantaged or the unemployed) as should you end up as a politician this is the sort of day-to-day stuff you'll end up dealing with. It is at the sharp end of things that is often the crucible for imaginative ideas and solutions to deal with difficult issues.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.