Help with A - Level Maths and Further Maths revision (GCSE student)

Watch
Xevzy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have officially finished my GCSE's as of this Monday, and have now started my summer break. I have taken it upon myself to start my A level revision early, as I do not want to make the same mistake as I did at GCSE where I left everything last minute. I am a bit confused as to how, to approach revision as I am doing Maths and Further Maths(most likely going to be doing Edexcel) and have some questions which hopefully you guys can answer.

TLDR; I have some questions regarding A level revision (most likely going to be doing edexcel )

1.) What revision resources would you reccommend for the two subjects? Any channels which are useful? (I am using Maths Genie for Maths only, not sure what to use for Further Maths - Both Edexcel. I prefer video tutorials for learning the content, and what should I use for practising skills)

2 .) Is the content you learn in Further Maths exclusive to that subject, or will there be things you learn in Maths which would be applied in Further Maths?

3.) Do I have to learn ALL the content in every module, or is it only select topics.

4.) could someone explain what C1/D1/FP1 etc. consists of and what it actually means?

5.) For the new spec -2017 onwards, do we still have to learn decision? (It is taught on some websites but not on others, and is it just for further maths)
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What revision resources would you reccommend for the two subjects? Any channels which are useful? (I am using Maths Genie for Maths only, not sure what to use for Further Maths - Both Edexcel. I prefer video tutorials for learning the content, and what should I use for practising skills)
Always used textbooks so not sure. If you google "A-level further maths" followed by a particular topic you'll probably find some things useful. For practicing skills you could do textbook questions. If you're particularly into it, you can look at some extension-type questions, such as those on madasmaths, AEA or STEP I if you're particularly adventurous. Unfortunately the A-level textbooks tend to have too many similar questions that don't have much bite, so these are useful for overcoming the fatigue of that.

Is the content you learn in Further Maths exclusive to that subject, or will there be things you learn in Maths which would be applied in Further Maths?
A lot of further maths builds on things learnt in A-level maths. Ideally, you should learn AS maths before AS further maths and similarly for AL maths/AL further. You could alternate between the two but doing one at a time is probably easier to organise. It can be a logistical nightmare otherwise, skipping around.

Do I have to learn ALL the content in every module, or is it only select topics.
Yes, you have to learn all the content in Core Pure and any options you pick.

could someone explain what C1/D1/FP1 etc. consists of and what it actually means?
For the new spec - everyone does Core Pure which is worth 50%. Then you have two options each worth 25% for which you can do:
  • 2 "1" options (FP1/FS1/FM1/D1)
  • or a "1" option and a corresponding "2" (FP1/FP2, FM1/FM2, FS1/FS2, D1/D2). For example, FP1/FM2 is impossible.

FP is Further Pure, FS Further Statistics, FM Further Mechanics, D Decision Maths.

There are no options within Maths anymore.

For the new spec -2017 onwards, do we still have to learn decision? (It is taught on some websites but not on others, and is it just for further maths)
It was never compulsory but you are right that it has now been removed from Maths and is only in Further Maths.
Aryan3031
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im doing the same, maths and FM for a levels starting year 12 in september. What I've been doing is looking at FM past papers and answering the questions that i can, usually the 3 and 4 markers, just to get a feel of the difficulty level (some questions you could answer at gcse level imo)
You also probably need a Grade 9 for Maths GCSE, don't know if thats what you think you've got
(Original post by Xevzy)
I have officially finished my GCSE's as of this Monday, and have now started my summer break. I have taken it upon myself to start my A level revision early, as I do not want to make the same mistake as I did at GCSE where I left everything last minute. I am a bit confused as to how, to approach revision as I am doing Maths and Further Maths(most likely going to be doing Edexcel) and have some questions which hopefully you guys can answer.

TLDR; I have some questions regarding A level revision (most likely going to be doing edexcel )

1.) What revision resources would you reccommend for the two subjects? Any channels which are useful? (I am using Maths Genie for Maths only, not sure what to use for Further Maths - Both Edexcel. I prefer video tutorials for learning the content, and what should I use for practising skills)

2 .) Is the content you learn in Further Maths exclusive to that subject, or will there be things you learn in Maths which would be applied in Further Maths?

3.) Do I have to learn ALL the content in every module, or is it only select topics.

4.) could someone explain what C1/D1/FP1 etc. consists of and what it actually means?

5.) For the new spec -2017 onwards, do we still have to learn decision? (It is taught on some websites but not on others, and is it just for further maths)
MedKid1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Basically spend Year 11 summer consolidating your GCSE knowledge, even the basics as this is essential. I wouldn't start much of the A-Level content though, as your teacher will (hopefully) do a much better job of teaching you than you would yourself. If you do really want to start maths I'd do only up to Chapter 3 (however nearly all of Year 1 is pretty basic if you had good understanding at GCSE). Starting revision before you've even been taught the content properly probably won't help you in the long run unless your teachers are terrible.

I would learn all of A-Level before you start further - honestly I wouldn't even look at further before you start Year 12. The further modules are split up into Core Pure 1, Core Pure 2, Further Mechanics 1 + 2, Further Statistics 1 + 2, Decision 1 + 2, Further Pure 1 + 2. Core Pure 1 + 2 are compulsory and then the school (usually) picks the other two modules, so I do Further Mechanics 1 and Decision 1. However, there are people self-studying for the further stats next year as you can sit the exams for any number of modules at the end of Yr13.

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ is the best website for practice questions (in my opinion) as it orders them by topic and is pretty much all I do use for revision (past papers are available on there too). Its also really good for sciences if you're taking them as well
username4706050
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you doing maths and further both in 2 years, or maths in year 12 and FM in year 13?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (21)
9.55%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
60%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.64%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (32)
14.55%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.27%

Watched Threads