Help with A - Level Maths and Further Maths revision (GCSE student)

Watch
Xevzy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have officially finished my GCSE's as of this Monday, and have now started my summer break. I have taken it upon myself to start my A level revision early, as I do not want to make the same mistake as I did at GCSE where I left everything last minute. I am a bit confused as to how, to approach revision as I am doing Maths and Further Maths(most likely going to be doing Edexcel) and have some questions which hopefully you guys can answer.

TLDR; I have some questions regarding A level revision (most likely going to be doing edexcel )

1.) What revision resources would you reccommend for the two subjects? Any channels which are useful? (I am using Maths Genie for Maths only, not sure what to use for Further Maths - Both Edexcel. I prefer video tutorials for learning the content, and what should I use for practising skills)

2 .) Is the content you learn in Further Maths exclusive to that subject, or will there be things you learn in Maths which would be applied in Further Maths?

3.) Do I have to learn ALL the content in every module, or is it only select topics.

4.) could someone explain what C1/D1/FP1 etc. consists of and what it actually means?

5.) For the new spec -2017 onwards, do we still have to learn decision? (It is taught on some websites but not on others, and is it just for further maths)

EDIT: P.S (Please don't send replies reminiscent of "enjoy my summer" as I have done my due diligence, and I would benefit from doing some revision over the summer) besides... I have many other projects and plans which will come into fruition this summer and I will have one of my best summers till date
Last edited by Xevzy; 1 year ago

JayrZ
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
mate honestly just enjoy your summer and wait till the teachers explain it when u start. 2 years is plenty of time, coming from a year 13 FM student.
(Original post by Xevzy)
I have officially finished my GCSE's as of this Monday, and have now started my summer break. I have taken it upon myself to start my A level revision early, as I do not want to make the same mistake as I did at GCSE where I left everything last minute. I am a bit confused as to how, to approach revision as I am doing Maths and Further Maths(most likely going to be doing Edexcel) and have some questions which hopefully you guys can answer.

TLDR; I have some questions regarding A level revision (most likely going to be doing edexcel )

1.) What revision resources would you reccommend for the two subjects? Any channels which are useful? (I am using Maths Genie for Maths only, not sure what to use for Further Maths - Both Edexcel. I prefer video tutorials for learning the content, and what should I use for practising skills)

2 .) Is the content you learn in Further Maths exclusive to that subject, or will there be things you learn in Maths which would be applied in Further Maths?

3.) Do I have to learn ALL the content in every module, or is it only select topics.

4.) could someone explain what C1/D1/FP1 etc. consists of and what it actually means?

5.) For the new spec -2017 onwards, do we still have to learn decision? (It is taught on some websites but not on others, and is it just for further maths)
Interea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with the comment above, this summer is a time to refresh, have fun and get yourself organised and ready for a new year of learning. Your teachers will definitely explain this to you in September, but just a brief summary of the Edexcel system so it's not playing on your mind:

Normal A level:
4 textbooks: Pure year 1 and 2, and Stats and Mechanics year 1 and 2. The year 1 textbooks are what you would study if you were doing an AS.
Exams: 2 pure papers (both based off all the content from both pure books, no separation), 1 applied paper (content from Stats and Mechanics textbooks, although using techniques learned in the pure side).

Further Maths A level:
This is a follow-on from the normal A level, so you will be expected to know all the techniques from the normal A level maths for these papers too.
Everyone sits two Further Core papers (2 textbooks on this, basically extended pure maths).
You then sit 2 other papers, out of FP1, FP2, D1, D2, FS1, FS2, FM1 and FM2. You cannot sit a 2 paper without sitting the 1 paper (i.e. you couldn't sit D2 without having sat D1 etc.).
FP - further pure, more pure maths.
FS - further statistics.
FM - further mechanics.
D - decision (algorithms etc.).

I would not recommend trying to get ahead with content over the summer - this will just lead to confusion, especially since a lot of further maths assumes you already know normal maths. Instead, I'd recommend making sure you are super confident with all the high end GCSE content (differentiation and such). Feel free to PM me if you want any further information or clarification
KatieLouise0
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only do A-Level maths so I’m afraid I can’t answer some of the questions regarding Further Maths, but if you really want to do some extra revision before starting your A-Levels I would recommend buying a CGP head start book, I used them for Maths, Chemistry and Biology before I started A-Levels and they were very useful. And they don’t bombard you with too much information, just enough so you can grasp the basics without confusing yourself.
spectral_theory
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Xevzy)

EDIT: P.S (Please don't send replies reminiscent of "enjoy my summer" as I have done my due diligence, and I would benefit from doing some revision over the summer) besides... I have many other projects and plans which will come into fruition this summer and I will have one of my best summers till date
Hi there,

I was in a similar position to you following the completion of my GCSEs. I was an extremely eager student, and decided that I'd self-study all of the AS content over the summer holidays, which helped tremendously when it came to studying during term-time. (Details of which A-levels I took are in my profile.)

Since you're likely to be using Edexcel, then I'd strongly recommend using their resources. Their textbooks are comprehensive, with a large number of questions (some more challenging than you might reasonably expect to see on an exam), including online 'solution banks' which provide you with detailed solutions for each question. If your maths department at your sixth form is kind enough, they might even let you borrow some of the textbooks to use over the summer, perhaps for a deposit fee (I asked my sixth form to do this for me, and they gave me an enormous number of textbooks to use, in exchange for a deposit). You could buy them yourself, but I'd avoid buying anything brand new, and you'll just end up getting your own copy at the beginning of term anyway. Failing that, some students on Reddit (r/sixthform possibly?) have uploaded the textbooks you need, usually available via Google Drive links. It's not too hard to work through this content at your own pace, but I'd recommend start with the 'Core 1' or 'Year 1' textbooks first. If you can't find those, you can try finding the older 'LiveText' PDFs which some students have also uploaded, or even the older Heinemann textbooks for Edexcel which were designed for the 2000 specs, which these days you can still find in some libraries.

Once you've got familiar with the concepts, move on to past papers. I'd also recommend using the Solomon papers, which are harder versions of the A-level Maths exams you'll encounter, but are incredibly useful. There will certainly be things in Maths which are built upon in Further Maths: a classic example is integration, which is introduced in A-level Maths and looked at in greater detail in Further Maths. I'd recommend learning all the content. You might also like to look at the Mechanics textbook, too (it might have been combined with statistics with the new syllabus, though I'm not sure), as this can be difficult to grasp for students who are new to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (67)
14.69%
I'm not sure (16)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.77%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (211)
46.27%

Watched Threads