PGCE Interview coming up (in post compulsory education) Watch

Jhem123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Any advice, links etc would be greatly appreciated as I'm incredibly anxious and also have a presentation to prepare for it.
There are also 2 written tasks, any ideas on what these may be? Or how I can prepare for them?
Thank you!
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Try to relax! My PGCE interview was very informal. The tasks are only there to test your writing ability, nothing you can do to prepare apart from possibly look at general essay tips.
Jhem123
Rep:
?
Thank you, where did you do your interview?
And what did you do to research and prepare for it?
(Original post by S27)
Try to relax! My PGCE interview was very informal. The tasks are only there to test your writing ability, nothing you can do to prepare apart from possibly look at general essay tips.
S27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jhem123)
Thank you, where did you do your interview?
And what did you do to research and prepare for it?
In order not to reveal myself (my students read this forum!!) I won't say where, but I prepared by basically getting concise and clear answers ready in my head to all the big questions such as "why I want to teach" etc. They will also probably ask why you want to teach the subject (if it differs from you degree) and why you chose FE. Also if you have any experience to draw on or talk about, try to refresh your memory now of anything good to talk about. Don't over-rehearse word-for-word answers or anything like that, but try to get an idea of what your answer will be.

Depending on how long you have, I'd try get a grip on at least one or two "current issues" in the sector. For me, this was at the time of RPA so I had that fully understood, the pros/cons etc. Even if it doesn't come up you will feel more confident and you may be able to drop it into the writing element if it's education related.
Jhem123
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the advice I really truly appreciate it, as for current issues I've been researching and Brexit keeps coming up. Is this a good example of something to talk about?
(Original post by S27)
In order not to reveal myself (my students read this forum!!) I won't say where, but I prepared by basically getting concise and clear answers ready in my head to all the big questions such as "why I want to teach" etc. They will also probably ask why you want to teach the subject (if it differs from you degree) and why you chose FE. Also if you have any experience to draw on or talk about, try to refresh your memory now of anything good to talk about. Don't over-rehearse word-for-word answers or anything like that, but try to get an idea of what your answer will be.

Depending on how long you have, I'd try get a grip on at least one or two "current issues" in the sector. For me, this was at the time of RPA so I had that fully understood, the pros/cons etc. Even if it doesn't come up you will feel more confident and you may be able to drop it into the writing element if it's education related.
S27
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much for the advice I really truly appreciate it, as for current issues I've been researching and Brexit keeps coming up. Is this a good example of something to talk about?
Sure, it's obviously a massive issue. Be cautious though as it's such a toxic subject and it;s hard to be unbiased. If could get 1 more to go alongside it your good to go.
Jhem123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much, you've been so helpful.
I didn't realise it was important to be unbiased as I was thinking about talking about mental health being an issue, but I had a lot of strong opinions on the matter. Should I avoid strong opinions?
(Original post by S27)
Sure, it's obviously a massive issue. Be cautious though as it's such a toxic subject and it;s hard to be unbiased. If could get 1 more to go alongside it your good to go.
S27
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much, you've been so helpful.
I didn't realise it was important to be unbiased as I was thinking about talking about mental health being an issue, but I had a lot of strong opinions on the matter. Should I avoid strong opinions?
I'm on the fence. Personally, I think a key element to being a teacher is to be unbiased or at least present the facts as clearly as possible. Do you have strong views based on science, data or work in academic journals or do you have anecdotal evidence? Nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence but you should acknowledge this. To take it to the extreme, you may have a strong view the Earth is flat, this does not mean you should be teaching this!

As I said I'm on the fence, you should do what you planned
Jhem123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you for all of your help!!
(Original post by S27)
I'm on the fence. Personally, I think a key element to being a teacher is to be unbiased or at least present the facts as clearly as possible. Do you have strong views based on science, data or work in academic journals or do you have anecdotal evidence? Nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence but you should acknowledge this. To take it to the extreme, you may have a strong view the Earth is flat, this does not mean you should be teaching this!

As I said I'm on the fence, you should do what you planned
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads