Student Arrested by Armed Police At the University of Exeter Watch

mackers_ire
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seeing as we appear to be sharing war stories....my old uni expelled a student for ******** down a residential house's chimney on Paddy's Day....there's even a photo https://thetab.com/uk/belfast/2016/0...lled-qub-11898
Moose-er
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
That was Cameron (with his Bullingdon Club chums) and it happened probably 25 years ago.
And it probably did not even happen
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Moose-er)
And it probably did not even happen
We will never know. The media is quite good at making things up.
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mackers_ire)
Seeing as we appear to be sharing war stories....my old uni expelled a student for ******** down a residential house's chimney on Paddy's Day....there's even a photo https://thetab.com/uk/belfast/2016/0...lled-qub-11898
lol...definitely an unwarranted expulsion.

We have one student studying medicine at Oxford who attempted to murder her boyfriend. She has a history of violence and in court she was shown to also be addicted to alcohol. She wasn't given a sentence for her attempted murder. She was not even given a criminal record, because it will affect her career. She was allowed to carry on studying at the university. She is currently studying at the university and she will become a doctor in the future. I am of course referring here to Lavina Woodward.

Your friend got expelled for playing a silly prank, whilst this attempted murderess and drug addict who's studying a career that will allow her access to vulnerable patients is allowed to carry on in her career, because she's too rich, clever and female to go to jail. I am perplexed by this disparity in the way students are treated at these corrupt institutions.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 2 weeks ago
phoebebuffay77
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I certainly wasnt going on Stats for my research and opinion. I actually found every member of staff and students on the open day the most engaging, polite and happy that we'd seen at any other university so far. We also have relatives that finished at this uni last year so very recent and it really helped them. Each situation is different, just like secondary schools suit some and not others. I guess we have to hope that our children know what to do if they are having difficulties and cant get help at the uni they're at (which is terribly sad if this is the case)
(Original post by Pinkisk)
You are absolutely right Wired.

My friend was at this university. Thanks to perpetual bullying, corruption and abuse they attempted suicide last year.

I have spoken to four students at different programmes at this university. They all complain of the exact same things. There seems to be very serious problems at this university and it seems to be very very good at hiding these problems and keeping them from public attention. Every now and then thanks to leaks we have stories like this coming out.

Having spoken to students at this university I would not be surprised if this student, the one with the fake gun, turned out to have done what he or she done as a result of pressure, corruption, exploitation or bullying at the university. In my research I have found out that this university does not allow the student guild to get involved in directly supporting students during investigations. I have found out that the student guild at this university often does not answer phone calls and only ever responds to emails, and its staffed by a very small number of people who are over worked, often carrying out tasks whilst on their holidays. It employs one of the largest teams of lawyers that I have ever come across at a university that help protect it and its interests. This university clearly has a lot of issues. One student at the university passed an audio recording to me of staff and students at this university mocking and abusing patients at a hospital. This university is a scandal waiting to happen.

Those on this thread relying in their research of this university on stats, I highly recommend you refrain from doing that as most of these stats are as Wired wrote in his comments greatly unreliable and often disconnected from the reality of these universities. I would highly advise students, particularly those from minority backgrounds, to stay away from this university like they would the plague.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
lol...definitely an unwarranted expulsion.

We have one student studying medicine at Oxford who attempted to murder her boyfriend. She has a history of violence and in court she was shown to also be addicted to alcohol. She wasn't given a sentence for her attempted murder. She was not even given a criminal record, because it will affect her career. She was allowed to carry on studying at the university. She is currently studying at the university and she will become a doctor in the future. I am of course referring here to Lavina Woodward.

Your friend got expelled for playing a silly prank, whilst this attempted murderess and drug addict who's studying a career that will allow her access to vulnerable patients is allowed to carry on in her career, because she's too rich, clever and female to go to jail. I am perplexed by this disparity in the way students are treated at these corrupt institutions.
You're exaggerating the Lavinia Woodward story. She was high on various substances and it was nothing like attempted murder, she hit her b/f with a not very sharp breadknife, causing a superficial wound. She's paid pretty dearly for it, losing her place at Oxford and getting a criminal conviction.

Calling Exeter and Oxford 'corrupt institutions' is silly and unsubstantiated.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
LW’s charge and conviction was for unlawful wounding. The case has been widely reported & following a period of suspension LW left the University.
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
You're exaggerating the Lavinia Woodward story. She was high on various substances and it was nothing like attempted murder, she hit her b/f with a not very sharp breadknife, causing a superficial wound. She's paid pretty dearly for it, losing her place at Oxford and getting a criminal conviction.

Calling Exeter and Oxford 'corrupt institutions' is silly and unsubstantiated.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
LW’s charge and conviction was for unlawful wounding. The case has been widely reported & following a period of suspension LW left the University.
Were you correcting me? No need.
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
LW left the University.
It seems that this happened a few days ago. My information relating to this woman was outdated.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It seems that this happened a few days ago. My information relating to this woman was outdated.
Lack of information should never get in the way of a good prejudiced rant though.
TheRareSamuel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Something similar happened at my school!
A person was kicked out of a subject for wielding a 'fake' gun because a teacher saw it and raised the alarm :-)
It was media and he was just doing some work for his video. I don't really know why he was kicked out of the subject for it tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads