P96 – Make vehicles drive on the right side of the road Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago

What is this thread about?
This is a petition in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a proposal submitted by an ordinary TSR user, that is first debated and then voted on. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the petition's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so. Anyyone who isn't an MP can submit a petition – and you can do that very easily by using the petition tool.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

P96 – Make vehicles drive on the right side of the road, TS33
Make vehicles drive on the right side of the road

This petition calls on the government to enforce new laws to make drivers of vehicles and cyclists drive and ride on the right side of the road instead of the left to help the UK become more like the rest of the world.

A quick google search will prove that in most countries people drive on the right, so it is good if we as citizens of the UK adopt this convention.
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Well you claim that we should merely try to be more like the rest of the world and catch up, but you have missed a valuable point.

When God Emperor Boris takes power and restores the Empire then the vast vast majority of the world shall be driving on the true, correct side of the road. In this case other nations must follow our, correct lead.

Hard nay.
Last edited by TheRadishPrince; 8 months ago
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nay. Logistical nightmare in terms of vehicles to say the least, let alone streets and related infrastructure.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nay. I would not wish more deaths on our roads, which would be an almost inevitable result.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I suggest we stagger this over 5 years, start with big trucks and tractors and then move on to cars smaller cars and finish with bikes and wheelchairs.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nay! In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option back then. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

That's mainly part of the reasons why UK drive on the left as it was safer back then and is still relatively safer in modern times compared with driving on the right. Although it's only a marginal difference driving on the left is slightly safer because most people are right handed and right eye dominant. Driving on the left allows the dominant eye to focus on oncoming traffic & keeps the dominant hand on the steering wheel, even when shifting gears in a car with a manual transmission. In right-hand traffic, oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror are handled by the predominantly weaker left eye.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I cannot even imagine the effort that would be needed to convert out roads and our vehicles to an entirely different system of driving. Nay.
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by TheRadishPrince)
Well you claim that we should merely try to be more like the rest of the world and catch up, but you have missed a valuable point.

When God Emperor Rees-Mogg takes power and restores the Empire then the vast vast majority of the world shall be driving on the true, correct side of the road. In this case other nations must follow our, correct lead.

Hard nay.
Fixed that for you
:top2:
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
[field defaultattr=]
What is this thread about?
This is a petition in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a proposal submitted by an ordinary TSR user, that is first debated and then voted on. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the petition's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so. Anyyone who isn't an MP can submit a petition – and you can do that very easily by using the petition tool.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.[/field]

Make vehicles drive on the right side of the road
[field defaultattr=]
This petition calls on the government to enforce new laws to make drivers of vehicles and cyclists drive and ride on the right side of the road instead of the left to help the UK become more like the rest of the world.

A quick google search will prove that in most countries people drive on the right, so it is good if we as citizens of the UK adopt this convention.[/field]
Are you on drugs?

"Everybody else is doing it" is the *****est motivation for doing something. Like all our mums used to say, "if everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?".
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The left side is the right side of the road to drive on, end of story.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This is frankly illogical. The reasoning for the use of the left side of the road for driving forwards is explained above. I see no benefit whatsoever beyond making it easier for our motorists to drive in other countries, which I'm not sure is a priority given the lack of freedom of movement in Europe that we're about to face.

No..
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How much will it cost to redesign every traffic junction, to reprogramme every traffic light, to replace every road sign, flip around every bus stop, change every gantry on every motorway, repaint every road, and replace every vehicle to one that drives on the new correct side?

What do we gain?

There's your answer.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Lol bit too late for this now, nay. Maybe if it was 60/70 years ago you could make an argument.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
No benefit to this in my view - 75 countries drive on the left, so we're certainly not the only ones, and the costs would greatly out-way any pros.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Does this guy ever have sensible ideas? This runs into the same problem as conversion to metric in terms of logistics and difficult of transition, except both will be even worse and it will be dangerous is the meantime. Further to this driving on the left is safer so really the ~100 countries driving on the right should be the ones changing.
BosslyGaming
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Absolutely not, high cost to give little advantage.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%
No- I want it (120)
26.67%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.56%

Watched Threads