The Student Room Group

Switching course - obtaining postgraduate student loan

Hi,

Last year I was meant to be starting a taught MA course at the University of York, but I ended up having to drop out before I had actually received any teaching. I am profoundly deaf, which caused some extra complications; I wasn't able to come to a decision until after I had received the first instalment of my postgraduate student loan. When I dropped out, I was put down as having 'withdrawn' from my course and I didn't receive the rest of the loan.

(It's worth noting that I actually decided to defer my place on the taught MA until 2019/20 while I figured things out. Because of this, I was told that SFE would mark me as having 'suspended' my studies, and that they would not cancel the rest of my student loan. Bit frustrating when I found out this wasn't correct).

I have now decided to switch from the taught MA to a research-based MA, which I will be starting in September 2019. I should be able to pay my tuition fees using a combination of personal funds and the single instalment I already received.

However, it would be very helpful if I could be loaned further money from SFE to help me deal with additional costs such as accommodation. Ideally I would like to either apply for a new postgraduate student loan, or receive the remaining two instalments of my original loan. But I realise this is unlikely because SFE does not allow people to apply for a postgraduate student loan if they've received one in the past.

My question is, is there some way I can appeal against this? Would it be worth trying to cite Compelling Personal Reasons (related to my disability)?
Original post by caerphillycastle
Hi,

Last year I was meant to be starting a taught MA course at the University of York, but I ended up having to drop out before I had actually received any teaching. I am profoundly deaf, which caused some extra complications; I wasn't able to come to a decision until after I had received the first instalment of my postgraduate student loan. When I dropped out, I was put down as having 'withdrawn' from my course and I didn't receive the rest of the loan.

(It's worth noting that I actually decided to defer my place on the taught MA until 2019/20 while I figured things out. Because of this, I was told that SFE would mark me as having 'suspended' my studies, and that they would not cancel the rest of my student loan. Bit frustrating when I found out this wasn't correct).

I have now decided to switch from the taught MA to a research-based MA, which I will be starting in September 2019. I should be able to pay my tuition fees using a combination of personal funds and the single instalment I already received.

However, it would be very helpful if I could be loaned further money from SFE to help me deal with additional costs such as accommodation. Ideally I would like to either apply for a new postgraduate student loan, or receive the remaining two instalments of my original loan. But I realise this is unlikely because SFE does not allow people to apply for a postgraduate student loan if they've received one in the past.

My question is, is there some way I can appeal against this? Would it be worth trying to cite Compelling Personal Reasons (related to my disability)?

Hi there,

It might be beneficial to send us a private message on our social media pages or call us on 0300 100 0031, if your university confirmed to us that you had not attended the course, you may be able to receive the Postgraduate Loan (PGL) again.

Thanks, Ashley.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending