MathsMania
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
‘Religious believers should not eat meat’
Some Muslims will agree because the current meat industry does not show compassion to the animals being slaughtered for meat. Animals are cruelly kept in captivity and are forced to live in spaces the size of an A4 sheet. This means that as the current meat industry does not respect the rights of animals, it is not suitable for eating. The Qur’an says that animals are “communities like yourselves”. This means there are no differences between an animal’s needs and a human’s need, therefore all animals must not be disrespected in a way which is violates animal rights. This suggests that religious believers should not eat meat.
Religious believers will agree with the statement as the current meat industry also destroys the world. For example, the current meat industry is NOT sustainable, as the livestock sector contributes to at least 14% of carbon emissions. This means that eating meat destroys our fragile ecosystems which means that by eating meat many Muslims and Christians aren’t fulfilling their duties of khalifa and stewardship.They are also contributing to destroying the world. This suggests that religious believers shouldn’t eat meat as it means that they neglect other parts of their religious duties, eg khalifa and stewardship.
However, some Christians will disagree with the statement as it the Bible says they have dominion over the world. Dominion is the belief that Christians should be able to do whatever they want with the world, and therefore they are allowed to slaughter animals to eat. The Bible says,’Everything that lives and moves around you will be food for you.’ This means that it is acceptable to eat meat, as God has given permission to eat meat. Therefore, some Christians will disagree with the statement because it is permissible in Christianity.
Additionally, many Muslims would disagree with the statement as eating meat is a tradition in Islam. This means that it is okay to eat certain meats, and on some religious festivals, Muslims slaughter an animal and share the meat, which marks the story of Ibrahim p.b.u.h and Ismail p.b.u.h. To add to that, eating meat is a just cause. 1.3 billion people rely on livestock for an income, this means that the meat industry sustains and provides for a living, without that many people would be on the breadline. This suggests that it is okay to eat meat as it is a religious tradition and also it provides jobs for 1.3 billion people.
My overall opinion is that religious people should eat meat as if it does not go against their beliefs and religious teachings. This is because there is nothing in the Bible/Quran to say eating meat is wrong. Other people will disagree with me and say that eating animals is not compassionate and does not respect the rights of animals.However, they are wrong because animals have a purpose and provides so many people with an income, otherwise they. Therefore,I strongly disagree with the statement as meat is permissible in the eyes of God and allows many people to have a better quality of life.
Davy611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
'However, they are wrong', in my opinion, should be 'However, I don't agree with this view'.

If you have to give a balanced view, you've done that. If you have to be more inclined to one side of the argument then I think you should add one or two more points to demonstrate your preference. The content seems pretty sensible to me.
MathsMania
Rep:
?
Thanks for your advice.
(Original post by Davy611)
'However, they are wrong', in my opinion, should be 'However, I don't agree with this view'.

If you have to give a balanced view, you've done that. If you have to be more inclined to one side of the argument then I think you should add one or two more points to demonstrate your preference. The content seems pretty sensible to me.
However, my school gave us a revision sheet and the sentences starters I used I had to otherwise I would lose marks!
Thank you so much for reading it!
Cam3r0n
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Is this for Eduqas? It fits their mark scheme very well. Talking to my teacher who is a team leader for marking the exams, I have learnt how to get the highest marks and you have done most of those things. All I would say is you should try to be denomination specific. You have related well to people: "1.3 billion people rely on livestock for an income".
MathsMania
Rep:
?
Thanks Cam3r0n, it's nice to know I'm doing well.
Btw, my exam board is AQA.
Okay, I admit I'm stupid but what does "denomination specific" mean?
Thanks again!
Cam3r0n
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MathsMania)
Thanks Cam3r0n, it's nice to know I'm doing well.
Btw, my exam board is AQA.
Okay, I admit I'm stupid but what does "denomination specific" mean?
Thanks again!
Shia and Sunni are the two branches (denominations) of Islam. The denominations of Christianity include Catholicism, Quakers, Protestants, Orthodox etc.
MathsMania
Rep:
?
oooh.. thanks for letting me know!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (105)
61.4%
No (35)
20.47%
Not sure (31)
18.13%

Watched Threads