The Student Room Group

Is this good enough???

I'm 17, 5'4 and 68kg, bit over the healthy weight but never did anything about cuz my fat distribution kinda made me look "less fat" than I actually am. So I got 3 months before I start uni so I want to lose weight but I want to do it gradually (not the diets were you eat only 500 calories).
I signed up for the gym and I'll probably do cardio 3/4 times a week. Also, I'm going to try the steamed diet (lots of steamed chicken, vegetables and fish) or maybe add abit of nuts and i will cut out dairy.
I was wondering if this diet is good or"safe" without being malnourished.
Is losing over 10kg in 3 months too much and will I get loose skin???
Original post by T-Th
I'm 17, 5'4 and 68kg, bit over the healthy weight but never did anything about cuz my fat distribution kinda made me look "less fat" than I actually am. So I got 3 months before I start uni so I want to lose weight but I want to do it gradually (not the diets were you eat only 500 calories).
I signed up for the gym and I'll probably do cardio 3/4 times a week. Also, I'm going to try the steamed diet (lots of steamed chicken, vegetables and fish) or maybe add abit of nuts and i will cut out dairy.

You don't need to do cardio to lose weight its mainly diet.

10kg in 3months is realistic, but depends on how disciplined you are in eating the right amount.

Its more about how much are you eating. You need to eat less than your TDEE thats how you lose weight. If counting calories is too hard (It seemed complex to me when I was your age) then you will still find success by making small lifestyle changes. More veg, cut out fast food,drink more water, and exercise more for fun

Steamed diet seems fine but theres nothing wrong with having carbs
Reply 2
10kg in 3 months doesn't sound like too much, it's around 2lbs a week which is healthy. I would google a BMR (basal metabolic rate) calculator, find out what yours is, then start eating calories under that amount, maybe 0.7 x your BMR to get your daily intake. You can adjust as necessary.

In terms of the "steamed diet". Sounds a little faddy. Eating chicken, vegetables and fish all sounds healthy to me, ask yourself whether you'll be able to sustain eating a load of steamed sludge for the next 3 months, I know I wouldn't. Cut down your carbs, eat clean, allow yourself to have a treat once in a while. If you're hoping to maintain this for 3 months, and the key word is maintain, you have to be able to. Treat is as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

I assume you're female because of your weight/height and no mention of lifting. Cardio 3/4 times a week is good, and better than nothing, but focus on HIIT, and don't be scared of hitting weights. No, you won't get huge and turn into the hulk, your hormones as a girl just aren't going to allow it. The benefits of lifting though? You get stronger, increasing your muscle mass a little can help reduce your fat mass, and lifting allows your body to burn more calories for longer than cardio, up to a few hours after you stop exercising even.

Good luck, and you can do it.
Original post by T-Th

Quick Reply

Latest