Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of a mix of First past the post (all consituency elections) and a proposal, list system for an extra 20% of MPs.

Meaning bringing the total of MPs to 775/6

646 of which are elected via First Past the Post in their consituencys.
    and
    129/30 to be elected by a national list system based on total share of the vote.

The advantages as i can see it:
    -More proportional
    -Keeps MPs link to consituency

Disadvantages:
    -MPs extra expense
    -Enough room
    -Still not completely proportional.

ReputationRep:
    Under a Labour/Conservative government? PAH!
    No chance mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTB)
    No chance mate.
    Despite Labour's promises of electoral reform in their 1997 (and 2001, I believe) manifestos, they conviently 'forgot' about it when the simple plurality system benefitted them so much :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Bloody turkeys will never vote for PR, wait till theres a hung parliament

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTB)
    No chance mate.
    Well, the Labour Government created that exact system for elections to their Scottish Parliament in 1998.

(Original post by jamesjenkinsy)
    Disadvantages:
    -MPs extra expense
    -Enough room
    -Still not completely proportional.
    On the first point, there's been a bit of a hoohah up here in Scotland regarding regional list MSPs and their expenses: they are actually given considerably less to run their offices than constituency MSPs, yet paradoxically it seems many of the best (or at least most interesting) members are list MSPs who of course have to represent a far wider geographical area. To give some idea of these areas: there are 73 constituency MSPs, then 56 list MSPs elected from across 8 regions (so, obviously, 7 members per region).

ReputationRep:
    the only really effective voting system happens under a one party state with a benevolent dictator at the helm

ReputationRep:
    Labour and the Tories only maintain the status quo because it suits them.

Coalition governments mean co-operating with other parties. They simply want all the power for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiddranc)
    Coalition governments mean co-operating with other parties.
    Actually, I don't think much co-operation happens in coalition governments.

ReputationRep:
    Its a good idea. But it would need a major upheaval of our political system, as what MPs who do not have a constituency to represent would do with most of their time is a mystery.

I think rather than simply increasing the number of MPs which strikes me as a bit unnecessary, it would be a good opportunity to realign the constituencies, as they are a bit archaic now, they need realigning to accurately reflect population figures.

ReputationRep:
    the hybrid system in my eyes goes a long way to counter the problems of our ridiculous electoral system by introducing a system slightly more proportional. It also means that government ministers no longer have the burden of constituents and so rather than having a minister who cannot fully adhere to their constituents needs, those with the largest work burden do not have to have their work conflict with constituency needs, and so can focus more on their work, whereas all constituencies will get harder working constituency MPs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Its a good idea. But it would need a major upheaval of our political system, as what MPs who do not have a constituency to represent would do with most of their time is a mystery.
    I think you overestimate the amount of time spent by MPs on constituency issues. Moreover, in a regional list system, the MP in question would actually have a much larger 'constituency' of sorts to represent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think you overestimate the amount of time spent by MPs on constituency issues. Moreover, in a regional list system, the MP in question would actually have a much larger 'constituency' of sorts to represent.
    The list system MPs would not have consituencies, from my proposals by they would assist their collegues.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.