The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Another one of those degree classification calculation thread & advice needed

Hello,

I'm a current final year international student from the faculty of Health Science who is waiting for the final year to start.

Solar wasn't able to provide an average for the current grades as it stated that it would be inaccurate due to not having the grades from the final year. Also, I tried using those online calculator and it doesn't really make sense to me.

Thus I was wondering if my method of calculating my current grade point average (GPA) was correct? I kinda need this average of my current year because I might be transferring course (I will go into more details later on).

20 credits module - 68.5% -[68.5 x (20/120)] = 13.7%

20 credits module - 75.5% - [75.5 x (20/120)] = 12.583%

20 credits module - 71% - [71 x (20/120)] = 11.833%

20 credits module - 58.5% - [58.5 x (20/120)] = 9.75%

20 credits module - 70% - [70 x (20/120)] = 11.666%

10 credits module - 90% - [90 x (10/120)] = 7.5%

10 credits module (addvan+tage) - 78% - [78 x (10/120)] = 6.5%

So I just add the bold % up and it is 73.532% for all the 120 credit modules so far. Is my method of calculating correct? If it is correct, do I assume my GPA is first class honours as of now or is it even accurate of me to assume so? Should I add in my first year too? I am not too worried about my first year as I had gotten all first for the module marks but I was told that Coventry University does not account for year 1.

Regarding to my course transfer, well, I kind of enjoyed my time in Coventry University. The lecturers on my course are extremely helpful and I have made many great friends. However the thing is that my course was suppose to be accredited (it was even stated on the homepage for the course but it is now deleted with no trace, a little dodgy if you ask me) and that was the reason why I joined Coventry University in the first place.However for some reason the accreditation was gone. After the accreditation was gone, my lecturer said that we had to personally submit our own portfolio to be registered.

In some sense I feel that what I'm studying now isn't as good as those other accredited course in other universities who had previously given me an offer to study there and I feel cheated. Thus I am extremely worried that I might not be able to progress on wards to a masters programme as most of them requires a good university degree.

So.. I'm deciding to send out some applications to other accredited universities for a transfer in which I believe they will need to see how my grades are to give me exemptions to modules, years, etc.

If you were in my shoes, will you continue with the course and hope that other universities will accept me for masters programme? Or just transfer if given the chance? Is there anything I can do in regards to this accreditation 'scam'? I don't even know whether to call it a scam or not because I enrolled into Coventry University under the impression that my course was going to be accredited but half way through, it didn't happen but yet we can become accredited by submitting our own portfolio at our own expense.

I apologize for the long winded essay!

Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest