Should I take a level English literature?

Watch
Saeven
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have just finished my gcses and now Im thinking about what a levels I should take (I thinking of French, maths and English literature and maybe epq) , Im considering doing history of art as a degree and it says its helpful to have an essay based subject like English literature or history, but I don't like the history course my school is doing. I feel like Id probably get a grade 6 or 7 in English literature for gcses but do you think I'd be able to get a good grade at alevels like an A because I think it would only be worth doing History of Art at a prestigious university and an A is usually what they require at least.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saeven)
I have just finished my gcses and now Im thinking about what a levels I should take (I thinking of French, maths and English literature and maybe epq) , Im considering doing history of art as a degree and it says its helpful to have an essay based subject like English literature or history, but I don't like the history course my school is doing. I feel like Id probably get a grade 6 or 7 in English literature for gcses but do you think I'd be able to get a good grade at alevels like an A because I think it would only be worth doing History of Art at a prestigious university and an A is usually what they require at least.
So try not to get too tied up on university prestige. Depending on what you want to do after your history of art degree then where you study it won't make a huge amount of different.

In my experience English Literature is a very accessible A Level that I enjoyed a lot. The risk with taking it is that the mark schemes are very subjective so your teachers could be marking you a lot higher than what you receive on results day. This is a risk with most essay based subjects though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20.01%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads