The Student Room Group

Do you give blood?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonmyst
I do.
I'm lucky when it comes to my health now, as a child I caught every illness going round.
I've probably got the same level of immunity for most childhood illnesses as the people who got functional preventative vaccine doses.

You don't have to have been vaccinated to give blood. Lots of older people donate who grew up before there were vaccines for measles or mumps or meningitis.
Original post by 8472
I use to be a regular donor when I had a consistent work schedule (9-5pm) but as life became busier I just never know if i'm going to be able to donate blood.

The first I went I had no idea what I was in for. Was it literally just someone sticking in a needle and taking a bit of blood? Would I be milked dry of my blood and feel ill?

Well it was a rather pleasant experience. The worst part was perhaps waiting around as they were running late.

A quick pre-donation test. Then you're say down in the coolest cradle like chairs and have a quick prick in the arm to insert the needle. Being young and maybe fortunate my blood bag filled very quickly and I didn't get to utilise my time in the chair to think about life as my mum had suggested :lol:

Penguin bar and a cup of water.. few minutes later i was off out. The staff were lovely and I oddly enjoyed it.

I haven't been able to donate yet first due to medication I was on, now because I am too anaemic. When I can I want to donate. I'm not scared of blood or needles but I freak out at the thought of having a tube staying in my body and then usually faint ...
Once I can not faint then I will donate
Original post by StormyOcean
I haven't been able to donate yet first due to medication I was on, now because I am too anaemic. When I can I want to donate. I'm not scared of blood or needles but I freak out at the thought of having a tube staying in my body and then usually faint ...
Once I can not faint then I will donate

After my first donation, one of the nurses working there told me it’s best if you hydrate yourself really good somewhere between 36-24h and in the morning before the donation to eat something without fat (she suggested me toast). That helps a lot not fainting.
I wish I could but I don't weigh enough... It's quite annoying because I waited for years until I was old enough but because I'm short, I'd have to gain over 15kg until I reach the required blood volume.
Thanks for the B+ donations the blood did me good. 💜

Quick Reply

Latest