Who's disappointed Rory Stewart didn't get into the next round? Watch

Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)
Mm, stick insect, true. I was thinking more of a newt.
Oooh yes, much more appropriate.
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I guess if I'd wanted to draw people who liked Rory Stewart I should have made a thread totally dissing him
DragonsOfAsshai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can't believe I have to hope jeremy hunt of all people becomes PM
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DragonsOfAsshai)
Can't believe I have to hope jeremy hunt of all people becomes PM
Ikr. I'd prefer Theresa May over Boris
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
He's a scruffy tosser. Looks weird too.
No. You are confusing him with Jeremy Corbyn, surely?
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
No. You are confusing him with Jeremy Corbyn, surely?
Him too lol
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I hope to see him more in the future. He'd make a great leader of the Labour Party...
Apparently he wants to start a Tory version of Momentum and is calling for 300,000 new Tory members to take back control of the party for the Centre.

Also he's clearly an MI6 agent, which is a whole other story.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nobody who believes removing the possibility of no-deal from the Brexit negotiations is a sensible negotiating tactic should be placed in charge of a tap, never mind the government.
It's puzzling that hardcore Leavers see this as a threat to the EU. They don't give much of a damn any more. The only people it would really hurt would be here in the UK.

Also, it's one of those pretend threats that's been advertised for ages as a pretend threat, so quite how Boris is going to use it as his secret ultimate weapon is anyone's guess.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Disappointed in a least bad way. He'd not be a good leader for the country, but as the only adult in the race, acknowledging that no deal would be national suicide to spite the EU, he was the most competent one in the running.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
It's puzzling that hardcore Leavers see this as a threat to the EU. They don't give much of a damn any more. The only people it would really hurt would be here in the UK.

Also, it's one of those pretend threats that's been advertised for ages as a pretend threat, so quite how Boris is going to use it as his secret ultimate weapon is anyone's guess.
A no-deal exit is a bad option for both sides, the worst for the EU (but not as bad as the May deal for the UK). It does not matter which side of the Brexit divide you are, no negotiator (for anything, ever) should put themselves in a position where they have ruled out walking away from a deal. It is sheer incompetence and folly. Someone who makes the statement cannot be made PM. The same applies to Corbyn and his statement about using the nuclear option. It makes them both unfit for the office.
Last edited by Good bloke; 4 weeks ago
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A no-deal exit is a bad option for both sides, the worst for the EU (but not as bad as the May deal for the UK). It does not matter which side of the Brexit divide you are, no negotiator (for anything, ever) should put themselves in a position where they have ruled out walking away from a deal. It is sheer incompetence and folly. Someone who makes the statement cannot be made PM. The same applies to Corbyn and his statement about using the nuclear option. It makes them both unfit for the office.
A threat is only a threat if it is credible and the EU has, rightly, never believed we would leave without a deal. Accordingly, anyone who claims we will is simply lying to the electorate.

The credible threat that we had, May may have lost it along the way, was to obstruct EU business until a satisfactory deal was reached. De Gaulle used it in the 1960s with the EU and it was used by the Irish to promote Home Rule in the 1880s. Obstructionism is very wearing on its opponents.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
A threat is only a threat if it is credible and the EU has, rightly, never believed we would leave without a deal. Accordingly, anyone who claims we will is simply lying to the electorate.

The credible threat that we had, May may have lost it along the way, was to obstruct EU business until a satisfactory deal was reached. De Gaulle used it in the 1960s with the EU and it was used by the Irish to promote Home Rule in the 1880s. Obstructionism is very wearing on its opponents.
May should never have invoked the exit article until she had fully prepared. She was always on the back foot. She, too, was unfit for the task.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Shocking! A man who is favoured mainly by supporters from other parties doesn't appeal to Tory MPs.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
May should never have invoked the exit article until she had fully prepared. She was always on the back foot. She, too, was unfit for the task.
Yes

But most of her critics are like Chamberlain's critics who opposed rearmament and then complained that Munich was a sell out.

Most of the people who now say she acted too early were previously complaining about her delaying sending the Article 50 notification.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes

But most of her critics are like Chamberlain's critics who opposed rearmament and then complained that Munich was a sell out.

Most of the people who now say she acted too early were previously complaining about her delaying sending the Article 50 notification.
That may be true, but she should be able to resist pressure from incompetents and idiots (and the EU).
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If May had tried to prepare before Article 50, we would still be in the same place today. The fundamental issue is that there is a very strong opposition to Brexit from powerful circles in Government, Civil Service and Business. So they would manage the “preparation” for the next 10 years without having anything really done.

The Bank of England Governor recently said that thousands of businesses and the Bank are not ready for a No Deal. I don't know whether it is incompetence or just plain folly.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
The Bank of England Governor recently said that thousands of businesses and the Bank are not ready for a No Deal. I don't know whether it is incompetence or just plain folly.
Having previously worked helping SMEs with compliance with EU legislation (e-cigarette manufacturers and the tobacco products directive), I'd be confident in saying it's the latter. A lot of companies simply won't believe that the government will force more legislation and the greater costs of complying on them until forced to confront reality. The same will apply here, most businesses won't believe that the conservatives, allegedly the party of enterprise, will commit to something so fundamentally harmful to business in this country as a no deal brexit. They still think the Tory party hasn't surrendered itself to disaster capitalists.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes

Exactly so.

It's been one long saga of declining circles of irrationality, with hardly an intelligent decision to be seen.

I presume the Boris blame game, once it has been clearly demonstrated that he can do no better, will be to put it all on Theresa and his old enemy Dave.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Having previously worked helping SMEs with compliance with EU legislation (e-cigarette manufacturers and the tobacco products directive), I'd be confident in saying it's the latter. A lot of companies simply won't believe that the government will force more legislation and the greater costs of complying on them until forced to confront reality. The same will apply here, most businesses won't believe that the conservatives, allegedly the party of enterprise, will commit to something so fundamentally harmful to business in this country as a no deal brexit. They still think the Tory party hasn't surrendered itself to disaster capitalists.
Poor stupid them, fancy believing that the country would be run along semi-rational lines.

Anyone in doubt about latterday senior Tory motives should give consideration to the fact that during the worst part of May's crisis management, she was partying with the wives and girlfriends of Russian oligarchs in a swanky hotel in Mayfair.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
That is true, but if a business leader has not prepared or is not ready for a potential No Deal, then they are very incompetent. Many organisations are readying themselves for a potential No Deal but are hoping for a peaceful compromise.

I think it is silly for enterprises whether big, medium or small to sit on their hands and hope for a miracle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (144)
61.28%
No (91)
38.72%

Watched Threads