Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was never really a math person, I was okay with it in primary school but I never excelled at it. I got a B in my GCSE's and at my school math is compulsary for A-levels. I practically have very little motivation in math and I can't seem to understand anything except for the things that were covered in my previous courses. It makes it harder that I'm the only one in class who can't keep up and my teacher is also the school's tutor for the kids who are representing the school in the math olympiad so he teaches everything so fast. Plus the school is way too dedicated to it (we do at least 11 periods a week) and they're ignoring the subjects that are important to me, like English. I understand that math is important in any field, even the one that I'm interested in pursuing (psychology) but at this rate, studying math is mental torture. I cant stop feeling like a failure when I can't do the problem and I feel bad whenever someone's trying to explain something to me; it's as if they're talking to a moron.

So does anyone have any tips for battling math anxiety?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by demonsareagirlsbestfriend)
    I was never really a math person, I was okay with it in primary school but I never excelled at it. I got a B in my GCSE's and at my school math is compulsary for A-levels. I practically have very little motivation in math and I can't seem to understand anything except for the things that were covered in my previous courses. It makes it harder that I'm the only one in class who can't keep up and my teacher is also the school's tutor for the kids who are representing the school in the math olympiad so he teaches everything so fast. Plus the school is way too dedicated to it (we do at least 11 periods a week) and they're ignoring the subjects that are important to me, like English. I understand that math is important in any field, even the one that I'm interested in pursuing (psychology) but at this rate, studying math is mental torture. I cant stop feeling like a failure when I can't do the problem and I feel bad whenever someone's trying to explain something to me; it's as if they're talking to a moron.

So does anyone have any tips for battling math anxiety?
    The biggest problem seems to be that you are doing a subject that you don't like and struggle at. I am completely against making subjects compulsary at A level for this reason so I sympathise with you.

Have you tried talking to your teacher about it? If people were behind in my A level class, they would work at their own pace from a textbook and ask the teacher if they needed help. Is this a possiblity for you?

You need to something about it becuase if you continue to work at a pace that you are not comfortable at then things will only get worse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little reluctant to talk to him because lately I've been so frustrated during math that I dont pay attention at all, apart from the easier lessons that we mostly covered in GCSE. Teachers here have such huge egos and they expect all their students to pay attention at all times and I think he already has a bad impression of me because of that. Plus my school has a reputation for having smart pupils so he kind of expects everyone to keep up at that pace because we're all "capable" of it. I thought about getting a tutor but I didnt like the idea of spending like, four more hours a week learning more math when I barely have time to do things that I actually enjoy. My only hope right now is that next term we'll get a new teacher that can explain things less faster but I'm still worried because I'm falling so far behind than everybody.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, I think the first problem lies within the fact that you call it math instead of maths. (sorry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adampolar)
    hmm, I think the first problem lies within the fact that you call it math instead of maths. (sorry)
    Wow! That was helpful...not...

OP, is there any other maths teacher at your school that would be prepared to spend - say - an hour a week with going over the basics? I myself take further maths and have an appaling teacher, but there is another teacher in the department who's a real ledge and helps me out whenever I need it.

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know, I think it's terrible that you're being forced to do maths at A-level.

Firstly, do you know of any students who woud be willing to go through examples with you? Some people find that less daunting than 'admitting' to teachers that they haven't understood the work (though teachers honestly don't (or at least shouldn't) mind explaining things more than once - that is, after all, why they're there).

Secondly, although it's a poor substitute for having a teacher in front of you, really don't be afraid of asking for help in this subforum.

ReputationRep:
    feel confident
    a b is hardly bad infact its good ;its above average

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.