AS Further Maths question Watch

jackwhurt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, question is how do you find the shortest distance between two skew lines.
Basically, I think I have done it, but I don't know why it works. I found a vector perpendicular to both lines, then found the unit vector of this. Then did the dot product of the unit vector and the difference between points on both lines.
Thanks for any explanation.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jackwhurt)
Basically, I think I have done it, but I don't know why it works. I found a vector perpendicular to both lines, then found the unit vector of this. Then did the dot product of the unit vector and the difference between points on both lines.
Yes, that's one of the standard methods - assuming I interpret you correctly.

The line of shortest distance between two skew lines will be perpendicular to each of those lines; hence the unit vector your found.

The next bit is a little tricky to see, IMO.

Suppose we have a point p on l1, and a point q on l2.

Then the vector q-p represents the position of the point q on l2 relative to a point p on l1.

Taking the dot product of that with your unit vector is simply finding the magnitude of that vector in the direction of the unit vector, i.e. the perpendicular distance.

Doesn't matter which point you take on l1 or l2.

Hope that helped; but I can see myself that it's not the clearest explanation.
mqb2766
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are a few youtube videos about this, have you googled them?

The first part is why must the line (distance) be perpendicular to the two lines? This is basically a double version of the problem of finding the closest distance of a line from the origin. Distance is represented as a circle centred on the origin. As this expands, it will just touch the line, so the forms a tangent to the circle. At this point, the line is perpendicular to the line connecting the origin to the tangent point. Yours is like this but works in both ways for the two skew lines.

See ghostwalkers post after this?

RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes that's the jist of the formula.

Consider two lines that skew \ell_1 : \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{a} + \lambda \mathbf{c} and \ell_2 : \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{b} + \mu \mathbf{d}.

Now, the shortest distance between these two lines is along a perpendicular vector to both of these. The perpendicular vector is

\mathbf{n} = \mathbf{c} \times \mathbf{d}.

Now consider the vector \mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a} (green vector in the first diagram). This is a vector from \ell_1 to \ell_2, connecting the points on both lines as seen in their equations.

This vector is not necessarily the shortest distance, but we can project it onto the shortest distance by dotting it with the unit normal vector.

Why does this work?

Look at the second diagram. Note that I have shifted the green vector to the right a bit, so that it comes off the same point where the normal vector meets \ell_1. By basic trigonometry,

d = |\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}| \cos \theta

But notice, that from the definition of the dot product, we have

(\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}) \cdot \mathbf{n} = |\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}|  |\mathbf{n}| \cos \theta.... which means that, after dividing both sides by |\mathbf{n}|, we have

|\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}| \cos \theta =\dfrac{(\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a})\cdot \mathbf{n}}{|\mathbf{n}|}

Hence, we have that d = \dfrac{(\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a})\cdot \mathbf{n}}{|\mathbf{n}|} = (\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a})\cdot \hat{\mathbf{n}}

where \hat{\mathbf{n}} = \dfrac{\mathbf{n}}{|\mathbf{n}|} is the unit normal vector.

Last edited by RDKGames; 4 weeks ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What this boils down to is the distance between two planes with the same normal that contain the directions of both lines.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Yes that's the jist of the formula.

Consider two lines that skew \ell_1 : \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{a} + \lambda \mathbf{b} and \ell_2 : \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{c} + \mu \mathbf{d}.

Now, the shortest distance between these two lines is along a perpendicular vector to both of these. The perpendicular vector is

\mathbf{n} = \mathbf{b} \times \mathbf{d}.
I think you mean:

Consider two lines that skew \ell_1 : \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{a} + \lambda \mathbf{c} and \ell_2 : \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{b} + \mu \mathbf{d}.

And carry on as before.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
I think you mean:

And carry on as before.
Ah yes, got distracted halfway through making that post and forgot what letters were where
jackwhurt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks everyone, I get it now - hopefully will ace my test coming up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.59%
No I am happy with my course choice (526)
59.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.35%

Watched Threads