MSc International Business or Management at Exeter worth it?

Watch
TheKinkyChinky98
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I am thinking about adding some business knowledge post-grad after my degree in biosciences and was wondering whether the above course is worth it?

I am interested in pursuing a career in business/finance/accountancy in the future.

(P.S. I would get a measly £1000 alumni scholorship if I did)
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hey ya,

Honestly I would ask you whether you have any office related work experience? If you're interested in Business/Finance/Accountancy graduate schemes a lot of them take people with any degree. A Masters degree in Business definitely won't hurt but to be honest you may be able to avoid needing it. A STEM degree has a lot of transferable skills which are useful especially for analyst type jobs for example, I dare say potentially more useful than a Business degree. (I did a Business degree. ) Although some business graduate schemes have a preference to Business/Economics graduates it's worth having a try. You'll notice when you work with a Business degree most of it is thrown out the window and I've used maybe 0.0001% of my degree in jobs and it's all learning whilst in the job. It was more of a means to an end to be honest for me.

Two routes:
1. Use your degree to find a graduate scheme/initial job as a finance assistant or something similar.
2. Do the MSc as it may help you to get a job as it is sometimes considered a preferred degree in some places for business related roles.
However from my experience Business roles were all from learning by doing/training rather than anything related to my degree. For example I did Procurement + Supply Chain modules, I did a year in industry in a Purchasing role and now on a graduate role in Supply Chain and Procurement. How much of the theory was actually used? Very little.

Hope this helps.
(Original post by TheKinkyChinky98)
Hi guys,

I am thinking about adding some business knowledge post-grad after my degree in biosciences and was wondering whether the above course is worth it?

I am interested in pursuing a career in business/finance/accountancy in the future.

(P.S. I would get a measly £1000 alumni scholorship if I did)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (82)
21.03%
Note taking apps (8)
2.05%
Flashcards (89)
22.82%
Revision guides (20)
5.13%
Past papers (176)
45.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.85%

Watched Threads