Am I officially still a student? Watch

twistme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My last exam was 3 weeks ago, so I've been available to work since then, but term doesn't finish for another week. Does anyone know when you officially stops being a student? I ask because I'm applying for jobseekers allowance.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd like to know that too for various reasons. I think my university attendence officially finishes on July 1st, so I'm guessing I'm still counted as a student at the university until then.
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No offence, but why the rush to go on Jobseekers? Why not try and get a job first? Don't you need to be not a student and unemployed for 3 months before you can claim? Sorry to be judgemental if you have a genuine reason.
twistme
Rep:
?
I am trying to get a job, I'd just like to afford to eat whilst I do so!
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I guess I've always been lucky with getting a job (yes even if it means the dreaded telesales) within a couple of days of starting looking which means its not worth the hassle of filling in the forms!
twistme
Rep:
?
I'm applying for 'proper' graduate jobs, and judging by my friends experiences I'm expecting the whole process (sending off CVs, interviews etc) to take about a month or so - assuming anyone wants to employ me
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you stop being a student on the last day of the last term of your 6th Form/College
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck!!! The grad process is a bit longer! hopefully not too long. I daftly assumed you were mid-degree rather than post-degree. Hopefully won't be too long....
alex-hs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Presumably when you graduate.
DMed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The date your university ID card runs out is your last day of being a student (as you still need to answer to the university until then)
alex-hs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DMed)
The date your university ID card runs out is your last day of being a student (as you still need to answer to the university until then)
Nottingham doesn't put expiry dates on student ID cards any more, because it saves them money if you change course or add an extra year to your course (eg by taking a year abroad) as they don't have to produce new ones, so I don't think that's necessarily the defining factor.
iolaus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on the uni and the course, ring either the uni and ask them for your official end of year date or ring the jobcentre - they have a HUGE list
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (148)
46.11%
Pro-humanity (173)
53.89%

Watched Threads