Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have a real difficulty identifying chiral centres.

For example,

Glycine, Tyrosine, phenylalanine, Leucine all appear to have a chiral centre to me, but apparently one of them doesn't.

Help?

chiral centres at carbon atoms must have 4 different groups attached, Glycine doesn't as it has two H's on the centre carbon

ReputationRep:
    yep... its like this a chiral centre has 4 diffferent side groups/atoms...for example
    ...........F
    ...........l
    ......Br-C-Cl
    ...........l
    ..........H
    the C in this is a chiral centre...but if one of the halogens were replaced by a hydrogen then this will not be a chiral centre...also some compounds can have 2 chiral centres...but the organic compound will not be optically active if there is a plane of symmety between these 2 chiral centres...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Logically: a molecule can't possibly have a non-superimposable mirror image if it has two or more same atoms joined to it. The molecule would have a mirror image, but it would just superimpose easily on it.

(Original post by vaporize)
    Logically: a molecule can't possibly have a non-superimposable mirror image if it has two or more same atoms joined to it. The molecule would have a mirror image, but it would just superimpose easily on it.
    Actually you can in certain situations, but you don't need to know it for A-level

ReputationRep:
    all amides have chiral carbons

(Original post by zzzzzoe)
    all amides have chiral carbons
    I think you mean amino acids! :p: except for glycine anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    I think you mean amino acids! :p: except for glycine anyway
    oh oops! i think i do. the RC=ON-H cant be chiral can it? aghhh my mistake

No the RCONHR' is generally flat, so if anything it shows a type of 'cis-trans isomerism' called rotational isomerism leading to two 'rotamers' where the hydrogen is 'cis' or 'trans' to the C=O

ReputationRep:
    The identfication of the chiral centre or asymmetric carbon is easy. the carbon must have 4 different groups attached to it, in a tetrahedron arrangement. even if the groups are ethyl, methyl, propyl and butyl, the molecule is still chiral. hope that helps...........
    by the way Chemguide is a really good website it certainly helped me understand chirality and about how enantiomers rotate the plane of polarized light ie clockwise positive or anticlockwise negaive

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.