adryyas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all! I am just graduating my bachelor at the University of Amsterdam in EU politics and law. It is a non-law degree(even tho i had some law courses) and I wish to move to the UK to become a solicitor, because I realised the profession of law attracts me and there are far better opportunities in the UK than Netherlands. I know i need to do a conversion first, the GDL, which is not funded. I stumbled across another option, the LLM law conversion at BPP, which is advertised as basically the same as the GDL but eligible for postgraduate funding. Plus having a master on my CV would potentially sound good to employers. What do you guys think/heard of this course? Did anyone take it? I also got accepted into GDL at University of Law and City Univ of London. I heard City Univ of London is very good but i cannot fund the GDL myself, that is why i am inclined for the BPP LLM conversion.
I visited BPP 2 weeks ago when I travelled to London and I saw the Waterloo campus. Maybe I was expecting too much, but it seemed very small and empty. Can anyone who studies there give me some advice?
Moreover anyone that can give me any tips on succeeding in the career path of a solicitor thank you so much! <3
The University of Law Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes I would agree with J-SP on this, the LLM involves only very slightly extra work to the conventional GDL. You will also get a similar office and more professional feel at the University of Law.

The GDL as a course is intense as you are effectively cramming into one year the normal three year law degree. Nevertheless, employers do seem to like people who have done something else and then done the GDL.

One thing to bear in mind going forward is that I believe you can only obtain one postgraduate loan. So if you choose to do the LPC you could not get funding for that as well as the GDL.

Joseph
(Original post by J-SP)
The LLM is just a marketing ploy. It isn’t really an LLM , it’s just the GDL with an extra module to allow for student finance.

BPP is not a typical university where it is a private institution mainly focused on professional qualificAtions. It will feel more like you are in an office rather than a university.
(Original post by adryyas)
Hi all! I am just graduating my bachelor at the University of Amsterdam in EU politics and law. It is a non-law degree(even tho i had some law courses) and I wish to move to the UK to become a solicitor, because I realised the profession of law attracts me and there are far better opportunities in the UK than Netherlands. I know i need to do a conversion first, the GDL, which is not funded. I stumbled across another option, the LLM law conversion at BPP, which is advertised as basically the same as the GDL but eligible for postgraduate funding. Plus having a master on my CV would potentially sound good to employers. What do you guys think/heard of this course? Did anyone take it? I also got accepted into GDL at University of Law and City Univ of London. I heard City Univ of London is very good but i cannot fund the GDL myself, that is why i am inclined for the BPP LLM conversion.
I visited BPP 2 weeks ago when I travelled to London and I saw the Waterloo campus. Maybe I was expecting too much, but it seemed very small and empty. Can anyone who studies there give me some advice?
Moreover anyone that can give me any tips on succeeding in the career path of a solicitor thank you so much! <3
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
you are effectively cramming into one year the normal three year law degree
No
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
I’ve never understood this message.

It’s only 7 modules - so typically the equivalent of about 1.2 x 1.4 times the amount you would cover in one year of uni. It’s less content than someone would cover in a traditional LLM anyway (although to be fair they are typically 12 months rather than 9).
Not to mention the stuff being bare-bones version of what you do on a traditional law degree. This does not matter in terms of career prospects, obviously, but it is definitely different.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Not to mention the stuff being bare-bones version of what you do on a traditional law degree. This does not matter in terms of career prospects, obviously, but it is definitely different.
Aye, no juicy debates for Papa Noto

(which tbh are probably the hardest part of a law degree - learning the law is just meh)
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Aye, no juicy debates for Papa Noto

(which tbh are probably the hardest part of a law degree - learning the law is just meh)
Indeed, separates the lads from the dads.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%