Is it normal the only thing I enjoy doing is eating

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The only motivation I have to get out of bed in the morning is food. I'll think to myself "if I get up now I can get McDonalds breakfast" or "I'll have enough time to get some chocolate from Tesco". When I go out with friends or family I'll think about all the restaurants we could eat at or the shops we'll pass that I can buy a snack to eat later when I'm alone. I also will continuously eat throughout the day unless I'm super stuffed.

I've always been on the chubby side and have struggled a lot to lose weight. In the past 6 months alone I've gained 10kg; the highest my weight has been in awhile. Whenever I try to eat healthy in order to lose weight though I feel almost depressed. I have no motivation to go out cause the main reason i enjoyed going out was for food. Even watching Netflix or videos on YouTube isn't as enjoyable if I'm not munching on something.

I feel so helpless cause everything seems so pointless and unfulfilling when I don't allow myself to stuff my face whenever I want.

Does anyone else feel this way or have any advice?
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The only motivation I have to get out of bed in the morning is food. I'll think to myself "if I get up now I can get McDonalds breakfast" or "I'll have enough time to get some chocolate from Tesco". When I go out with friends or family I'll think about all the restaurants we could eat at or the shops we'll pass that I can buy a snack to eat later when I'm alone. I also will continuously eat throughout the day unless I'm super stuffed.

I've always been on the chubby side and have struggled a lot to lose weight. In the past 6 months alone I've gained 10kg; the highest my weight has been in awhile. Whenever I try to eat healthy in order to lose weight though I feel almost depressed. I have no motivation to go out cause the main reason i enjoyed going out was for food. Even watching Netflix or videos on YouTube isn't as enjoyable if I'm not munching on something.

I feel so helpless cause everything seems so pointless and unfulfilling when I don't allow myself to stuff my face whenever I want.

How old are you? You have far too much time on your hands! You need to get much busier with hobbies, studying ,working, volunteering etc. Plan you life more. You are bored!
username4762440
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I love how sometimes you need to tell people they are bored. :rofl:
(Original post by mgi)
How old are you? You have far too much time on your hands! You need to get much busier with hobbies, studying ,working, volunteering etc. Plan you life more. You are bored!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
Same
Anonymous #1
I'm 22 and a student. I've tried different hobbies but never stick with it because I'm not that passionate about it. The o my thing I think I would really enjoy is volunteering with animals but it's so hard getting a volunteering spot at an animal shelter (at least the ones I tried).
username4762440
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Have you tried creating a workout schedule? I am about to. I can share it with you if you want. Working-out is honestly something that seems daunting at first but if you consider all the benefits of hard work, not only being in better shape but also feeling more confident, than exercise seems quite appealing.
I'm 22 and a student. I've tried different hobbies but never stick with it because I'm not that passionate about it. The o my thing I think I would really enjoy is volunteering with animals but it's so hard getting a volunteering spot at an animal shelter (at least the ones I tried).
Anonymous #1
Yes, I've joined the gym recently. I've been thinking of getting in strength training. What do you do at the gym?
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
True. Especially when it is true
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey

It sounds like food is a very emotional thing for you - in the same way it is for a lot of us! I know that food always makes me feel better, and I do the same thing of always thinking about what I'd like to eat next/what restaurant I can go to. You can do this in a healthy way - it just takes time and also some really strong will power

It may be worthwhile trying to find some places that are healthier than your usual restaurants/takeaways, but still give you that exciting feeling when you're going out. I like places like Itsu, Leon and Pret over places like McDonald's and Dominos, where it feels like your eating delicious food but it's so much healthier for you. Little changes like that may help with feeling a bit healthier - it's hard to out-train a bad diet, so making sure that you find that healthy food that you like can be really helpful for when you get in the gym. Once you find that healthy food that you like, keep making swaps for that and keep trying other healthy foods as you go. It'll be about re-training your taste buds, so start off with stuff like strawberries or salted popcorn which are intensely sweet or savoury and work down from there.

I'd also try and cut down on snacking, focus on your main meals instead to get you through. If you know you're going to make a delicious dinner, think about how that will fill you up and how excited you are for it, instead of ruining your appetite with snacks. Also, try and make healthier snack choices, like fruit and dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.

If you find that food is your whole life, then it may be worthwhile to have a think about what you're using food for. Is it just pure enjoyment, or are you substituting it for something, or using it to cope with complex emotions? If you're going through a lot at the moment and food is the way you can take your mind off it, it might be good to speak to someone about it and see if you can work out what's going on, and tackle the root cause instead of the symptom.

Best of luck to you

username4762440
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What do you study btw?
Anonymous #1
Psychology, ironically
Ctrlfr3ak
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I feel u anon, the only thing I truly enjoy is eating. I don’t like being around family or friends they either annoy me or make me anxious. I’m not interested in anything anymore, I just don’t have the energy even though I take supplements and go to the gym 5 times a week. Overall I’m miserable because I’m always trying to control the amounts and my macros, I do cheat every now and then
X
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads