The Student Room Group

Masters cancer biology UCL or ICL

Hi all I’m an international student from the states and I got accepted to both icl and ucl to do a masters in cancer bio (mre & MSc, respectively).
I like both programs and at this point I’m at a loss to which school would be better. Any advice?
In terms to cost, both are costing an arm and a leg. However, ucl is around 10k cheaper but at this point that is not a lot.
So I’m open to both schools and hoped any of you had some sound opinions or thoughts.

Thanks a ton.
The Imperial course is a research masters, while the UCL course is a typical taught masters. This should be enough of a difference to decide between them; do you want to spend 12 months doing research in a lab full time, or do you want to be attending lectures, doing homework, sitting exams, while doing a shorter research project?

They're equivalent in all other respects as far as "prestige", academic quality in that area of study, etc go.
(edited 4 years ago)
I second what @artful_lounger said. I also want to add that if you're thinking of going into a PhD, then a research Master's course will definitely be better preparation and also increase the value of your PhD applications.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi! I have noticed the difference and I’m determining which one would be better received not only for other potential PhD opportunities but be well received in the states. I know somewhat that in the “science” realm where you get your masters and PhD doesn’t really matter like in would in accounting or what not but it’s still an important thing to consider. I don’t believe you sit for exams for MSc, anyways for this program. I need to really dissect them closer I suppose tomorrow.

Original post by artful_lounger
The Imperial course is a research masters, while the UCL course is a typical taught masters. This should be enough of a difference to decide between them; do you want to spend 12 months doing research in a lab full time, or do you want to be attending lectures, doing homework, sitting exams, while doing a shorter research project?

They're equivalent in all other respects as far as "prestige", academic quality in that area of study, etc go.
Reply 4
This would be beneficial in the UK and perhaps other EU unis, but at this point idk where I would want to do my masters or come back to the states where I am not sure mres are recognized here ! But I haven’t found any solid proof saying that.
Original post by Quick-use
I second what @artful_lounger said. I also want to add that if you're thinking of going into a PhD, then a research Master's course will definitely be better preparation and also increase the value of your PhD applications.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sphoenix12
Hi! I have noticed the difference and I’m determining which one would be better received not only for other potential PhD opportunities but be well received in the states. I know somewhat that in the “science” realm where you get your masters and PhD doesn’t really matter like in would in accounting or what not but it’s still an important thing to consider. I don’t believe you sit for exams for MSc, anyways for this program. I need to really dissect them closer I suppose tomorrow.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/module-catalogue/modules/basic-biology-and-cancer-genetics/CINS0001

As you can see, the core module for the UCL course at least is mostly exam; this is typical of undergraduate programmes in the UK (most modules in an undergrad degree here will be 70-100% result from the final exam), and not uncommon for taught masters (although sometimes masters modules will have more "coursework" elements).

Since PhD programmes in the US "include" the taught masters elements, you might be able to skip over some of these requirements in a US programme after doing a taught masters here; this is not guaranteed though. Having experience of doing full time research work in a lab is still useful in terms of US PhDs as elsewhere, as that's what you'll eventually be doing in a PhD programme.

Outside of that, for potentially wanting to work in some kind of lab in industry after the course (which is unlikely without a PhD anyway), they probably won't be differentiated between, but the MRes might be more helpful background as you'll be more used to working in a lab environment (as opposed to just sometimes doing a lab experiment as a "student").
Reply 6
Yes I am pretty sure they don’t require to sit exams since the course will be evaluated from your research projects, presentations, and dissertation (I will double check this today and compare them both and see which program structure is more fitting).

I think I’m leaning towards MRes, because I want to know if this is something I’d like to pursue as a career.
And pursuing MSc might not give me what I need in terms of that.

You make a good point that US schools might be able to apply some of the taught components and satisfy that, but I doubt it they are so picky about that.

Thanks for the helpful post.
Was that link for MSc ? Correct?
Original post by artful_lounger
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/module-catalogue/modules/basic-biology-and-cancer-genetics/CINS0001

As you can see, the core module for the UCL course at least is mostly exam; this is typical of undergraduate programmes in the UK (most modules in an undergrad degree here will be 70-100% result from the final exam), and not uncommon for taught masters (although sometimes masters modules will have more "coursework" elements).

Since PhD programmes in the US "include" the taught masters elements, you might be able to skip over some of these requirements in a US programme after doing a taught masters here; this is not guaranteed though. Having experience of doing full time research work in a lab is still useful in terms of US PhDs as elsewhere, as that's what you'll eventually be doing in a PhD programme.

Outside of that, for potentially wanting to work in some kind of lab in industry after the course (which is unlikely without a PhD anyway), they probably won't be differentiated between, but the MRes might be more helpful background as you'll be more used to working in a lab environment (as opposed to just sometimes doing a lab experiment as a "student").
Reply 7
Original post by sphoenix12
Hi all I’m an international student from the states and I got accepted to both icl and ucl to do a masters in cancer bio (mre & MSc, respectively).
I like both programs and at this point I’m at a loss to which school would be better. Any advice?
In terms to cost, both are costing an arm and a leg. However, ucl is around 10k cheaper but at this point that is not a lot.
So I’m open to both schools and hoped any of you had some sound opinions or thoughts.

Thanks a ton.

Hi!
I know you made this post last year but I was wondering if you could let me know what the application process was like for Imperial College? There wasn't much information about it on the course website and I'm struggling to find someone I could ask.
Did you have to submit a personal statement? (It didn't mention anything in the website but I don't want to assume).
How long did it take before you heard back from them?
And finally, what was the interview process like? (assuming that you chose ICL)

Apologies if this is too long! Your response would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending