Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

ive read on other threads that students have done like 2 years voluntary work in a GP, like 2 weeks in a hospital, 3 days in a cardiology unit etc. from doing all this, then they get offers.

However, does anybody know of students who have got in with less work experience than this. its simply not possible for me to do this much work experience. Our hospitals only let us do 2 days fully as shadow work( because they are so busy and there are also a lot of other students doing the same). Besides this, i am doing about a week( maybe two now) in an elderly peoples home, have done voluntary work in a chemist( though only for two days). Also, i have done a teaching assistant placement for my school in the science classes and am taking part in a reading programme for younger kids( they read to me). Finally, i am taking part in a gifted and talented scheme specifically for those applying to medicine, and have taken part in many event which were part of it. I was the only one nominated from my school to do so( not showing off or intending to!)

Is all this enough?i am planning to apply to leicester uni and some others. Do you think ill get some offers? I just hope they realise the situation of our hospitals etc.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Quality not quantity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyrase)
    Quality not quantity.
    so do you think the experience ive done and work ive done will give me a good chance of getting in?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have any hospital experience. I did some physiotherapy work once every week, was a youth leader with St Johns Ambulance, and some work in a nursing home. I got into Leicester ! Tbh, I reckon it really comes down to the interview...
    Feel free to PM any time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    I didn't have any hospital experience. I did some physiotherapy work once every week, was a youth leader with St Johns Ambulance, and some work in a nursing home. I got into Leicester ! Tbh, I reckon it really comes down to the interview...
    Feel free to PM any time
    kk, but you did work for a long time continously like once a week for a while. i cant do that, but instead im doing all the voluntary work in a short amount of time over the summer. Do you think theyll like that or not?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What you've learned from it counts. Not the amount - if you can talk about how it influenced your ambitions to do Medicine and gave you a greater insight into what a career in it would involve, then that's what they're looking for. have a look in the Medicine part of the forum....someone typed out a list of general useful notes on Work Experience, it'll help you i think.

in answer to your second question, i guess you stand as good a chance of getting in as someone equally qualified as you good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gangsta Boogie)
    so do you think the experience ive done and work ive done will give me a good chance of getting in?

Thanks
    Definitely, however if you do get interviewed, you'll be asked;

-What did u learn from your shadow work?
    -What did u larn from working with the elderly?
    -Did you enjoy your work in the chemist? Have you considered any degree related to pharmacy>

Just some of the questions, u do know how to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenifaar)
    What you've learned from it counts. Not the amount - if you can talk about how it influenced your ambitions to do Medicine and gave you a greater insight into what a career in it would involve, then that's what they're looking for. have a look in the Medicine part of the forum....someone typed out a list of general useful notes on Work Experience, it'll help you i think.

in answer to your second question, i guess you stand as good a chance of getting in as someone equally qualified as you good luck!
    thanks, that helped. so now i just have to do my interview really well. i must get all emotional and start crying in tears and begging..... ( joking)

ReputationRep:
    and what about the UKCAT test? do the scores on that count a lot? like say if you dont get as good a score in that but you do well at the interview, do you think they'll let you in?

ReputationRep:
    The following is not a definitive guide, it is what I believe, in consultation with colleagues, an applicant should be aiming to achieve prior to application.

1. It is not Work Experience, Voluntary Work, Work or Extra-Curriculars that counts, it's experience of the above.

2. Through your experience you should demonstrate an understanding of the role of a (junior) doctor in modern medicine in both a primary and secondary care settings.

3. Through your experience you should demonstrate an understanding of caring for people and the harsh realities of illness.

4. Through your experience you should develop skills that would be applicable to medicine, including but not limited to; communication, patience, responsibility, accuracy, punctuality, reliability, team work, individual work, leadership, teaching, learning, etc.

That's really about it. It doesn't matter whether you learn about the above as a paid HCA, volunteer nursing assistant or sixth-former mindlessly following a consultant for a few days, just so long as you learn it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gangsta Boogie)
    and what about the UKCAT test? do the scores on that count a lot? like say if you dont get as good a score in that but you do well at the interview, do you think they'll let you in?
    No need to, UKCAT scores are considered before the interview. You wont get questionned about it in the interview. But only some med schools require the UKCAT, if you apply to these and you havent done the UKCAT or havent a sufficent average score at it, you will be disadvantaged/rejected.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    ^ yeah, that's the thing i meant before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyrase)
    No need to, UKCAT scores are considered before the interview. You wont get questionned about it in the interview. But only some med schools require the UKCAT, if you apply to these and you havent done the UKCAT or havent a sufficent average score at it, you will be disadvantaged/rejected.
    ok, thanks so im ok with the UKCAT. i just need to get those wierd shapes questions sorted! Where can i practise the UKCAT? is ther a book? ive been on the site and tried the practise paper, but is that i really?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There is a big thread at the top of this page on this topic. Please go there, read what all the current medical students have written and THEN ask any question you may have.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2008

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.