The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had it when I was younger, you basically feel nothing out of the ordinary and then about 10-15secs later it is like there are massive weights attached to your eyelids and everything goes black. Then you wake up feeling like ****.
Reply 2
We did this to death last week (and probably every month since time began).

See;
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=581409
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=570799
Reply 3
Anonymous
Anon or delete.

Hi I wondered if anyone has experienced a general anesthetic. I should be having one soon but the doctor has told me to think about it.

What does it feel like?

I've always been fascinated by these. I'm not going to sleep. I'm going to beat it :biggrin:

Firstly, that's not a great idea, as you can then end up getting too much, which isn't a great start to the anaesthetic.

People's experiences are individual so we can't say exactly what it will be like for you. When I had one, I remember being in the anaesthetic room, thinking "Oh God, it's not working, they're going to have to operate without it!" and the next thing I remember is hearing my Mum's voice talking to me (I was shouting about wanting a drink). I remember hearing things before seeing anything - the first I remember seeing is being wheeled out of the lift. There's nothing in between, not like I was asleep or anything, just like no time passed at all.
Reply 4
Helenia
People's experiences are individual so we can't say exactly what it will be like for you. When I had one, I remember being in the anaesthetic room, thinking "Oh God, it's not working, they're going to have to operate without it!" and the next thing I remember is hearing my Mum's voice talking to me (I was shouting about wanting a drink). I remember hearing things before seeing anything - the first I remember seeing is being wheeled out of the lift. There's nothing in between, not like I was asleep or anything, just like no time passed at all.
Typical ****ing medic. :wink:
Reply 5
Renal
Typical ****ing medic. :wink:

I was 10 years old, I think that would be a bit ahead of myself! At that point I didn't want to be a doctor - that was only after I'd been in hospital (and some other stuff too).

It made my mouth really dry, but I don't know if that was just me or if that's a common side-effect.
Helenia
I was 10 years old, I think that would be a bit ahead of myself! At that point I didn't want to be a doctor - that was only after I'd been in hospital (and some other stuff too).

It made my mouth really dry, but I don't know if that was just me or if that's a common side-effect.

I had that, it was the first thing I said too. Apparently in a weird voice as my dads tormented me about it ever since :rolleyes:
Although I had just had my tonils and adenoids out which my be why.
Reply 7
I get bored in recovery room but yes, it's the first thing most of the punters notice - it's because your mouth can't close while there's an ET or LMA in it so it drys out.
when i had mine it was when i had to have a tooth removed...my thoughts were similar to helenia's....i was lying there while the dentist and my mum were talking to me and i remember thinking 'shouldnt i be going to sleep or something' . next thing i remember i was awake and had someone asking me if i was alright...i said have you done it?? and they were like yeah its all over.

apparently i'd woken up minutes before and asked to see a mirror (my face was apparently massive) and my mum had told me she was going to get the car...i cant remember any of this. i was a bit dizzy when i got up but in about half an hour i was fine...its really strange how you dont remember anything

i was terrified about having it before hand, but it was fine, really nothing to worry about. and everyone else saying their mouths were dry, mine was still numb so i cant really comment on that
Reply 9
Terryw
Is there a way a normal guy like me can go and watch surgery?
Not really unless you know someone. It's not something that'd I'd recomend either.
Reply 10
There's not much to see really. Bit of cutting, bit of burning, bit of hoovering, bit of swearing at the nurses, bit of of stitching, bit of going for a cup of tea and a fag.

:wink:

(And I still want to know just why this is anon :confused: )
I had a General Anesthetic 3 weeks ago (thats why I started the Operations thread that Renal linked above). I was a little nervous so I wanted to get some background info too.

Anyway, basically I was a bit of a wimp so they gave me a sedative which was sposed to make me slightly hazy (but it really honestly didnt). So I can still give you a good picture of what it was like.
Basically, they either wheel you or walk you up to theatre, and you lie down on a bed thingy in the anasthetic room.
You'll get a canula inserted into your hand and then they inject the anasthetic into that. They attach heart rate monitors to you, and adjust your gown etc and after a few seconds you soon fall off to sleep.

My first memory of waking up was 3 hours later (I don't know where I went in that time, as my operation was only 30 mins). I sort of felt incredibly confused, and there was a womans face swimming infront of me and an oxygen mask on my face.
Then I was so sleepy I just fell asleep again.

You kind of wake up really puzzled, not knowing where you are at all and also not caring much either because you just want to sleep.

Soon after I was wheeled back down to the ward, where I had another sleep. Then they woke me up after an hour or so nap and gave me a sandwich and some water. Once I'd eaten both they let me get dressed and I was off to the discharge suite.

If you have any particular questions then PM me and I'll do my best to answer :smile:
Reply 12
I've had one :smile:

I remember someone speaking to me and then I just sort of went to sleep. It happened really fast, very easy. The next thing I knew, I was back in my room on the ward. I was by myself, my parents had went to meet with my doctor. I remember being really thirsty after waking up. That's all I remember, it wasn't scary or anything.
Reply 13
I remember them putting the canula in, then I was off shortly after. Waking up was a bitch - that didn't come too easy for me - kept dropping in and out of consciousness, and apparently I'd been absolutely screaming and crying the place down. Took me most of the day to recover - they wouldn't let me home cos I kept fainting every time I tried to get up. Lame.
Reply 14
i had one when i was 7 and it was in this horrible dental surgery place.
i had gas and i remember struggling a few times to get away from it! finally i did and he told me to count to 10 in my head and i remember seeing all these coloured swirls? it was so weird. i felt so ill for the rest of the day too and woke up with a mouthful of blood ...not very nice.
however on the positive side i was sick on a nurse
:smile:
Reply 15
I had one when I was 11 (dislocated a finger in the first week of summer hols =(... ), just felt a cold sensation going up my left arm around the injected vein, said something about being able to feel it and then I was under. Felt groggy for a couple of days afterwards though
Reply 16
when i had mine, the whole situation was just a blur. i dont even remember being given it, coming round or a period after - which is good! the next couple of hours after that are still very blurred and i cant remember leaving the hospital, but i do remember arriving home!
Reply 17
zzzzzoe
i had one when i was 7 and it was in this horrible dental surgery place.
i had gas and i remember struggling a few times to get away from it! finally i did and he told me to count to 10 in my head and i remember seeing all these coloured swirls? it was so weird. i felt so ill for the rest of the day too and woke up with a mouthful of blood ...not very nice.
however on the positive side i was sick on a nurse
:smile:
I, like most people, remember very little from when I was seven and certainly not any reliable detail.
Reply 18
I had one when I was 6 at the dentist and it was still legal for dentists to use that general anaesthetic gas. I remember breathing in some gas then he told me to count to 10 out loud.. i got to 10 and still hadn't fallen asleep. Think I got to 13. Anyway, he did whatever he was doing to my teeth and I remember waking up in a totally different room to where i'd gone to sleep and having absolutely no idea how i'd got there. Felt pretty sick for a few hours after and just wanted to sleep.
Reply 19
I've had loads of general anesthetics.
I didn't think any of them were bad, in fact i used to love them :s-smilie:
From what i remember they will take you into the anesthetic room where they put a canula in your hand. Usually they said to me 'count to ten and you'll be asleep', but i think this was only as i was young. I always felt really floaty for a few seconds then i was out like a light.

I have to say i hated waking up though, i always had this funny taste in my mouth and the nurses used to shout at me to wake me up. I wouldn't worry too much about it or you may panic and the whole thing will seem worse than it is :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending