Not reviewing your certificate on graduation? Watch

OhGod
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi,

I’m just wondering how common it is not to recieve your certificate on graduation and have it posted to you after you graduate.

This has happened to several of my friends who have graduated.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by OhGod)
Hi,

I’m just wondering how common it is not to recieve your certificate on graduation and have it posted to you after you graduate.

I thought that would be the norm.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by OhGod)
Hi,

that happened to me and one other guy when we had the wrong classification on our degree
OhGod
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Y
(Original post by 999tigger)
I thought that would be the norm.
Seriously? What’s the point of graduating if you don’t get the certificate at the ceremony???
heidigirl1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It's pretty much the norm to get the certificate in the post. The point of the graduation ceremony I guess is just to have it publicly recognised that you've graduated, get the photos of yourself in academic dress, and a celebration to have with your friends and family.

You don't have to go if you don't want to though. I didn't bother with my undergraduate graduation-didn't see the point as my parents wouldn't have been able to come from abroad-though I did go to my masters graduation because it was in the Royal Albert Hall; I guess that was pretty cool, and there was a nice champagne thing after, but the actual ceremony was boring as anything and went on forever (should have escaped once I'd gone up on stage and gone to the pub with my family like one of my course mates did). It can also get really expensive-gown hire and sometimes guest tickets at a minimum (many unis give a number of free ones and you only pay for extra guests, others you have to pay for all the tickets for your guests), plus if you want to have professional photos done that's more cost.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My uni gave us our certificates at the ceremony. If you aren't there, they post them out.
999tigger
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by OhGod)
Y

Seriously? What’s the point of graduating if you don’t get the certificate at the ceremony???
That you get to go to the ceremony and get pics taken with your friends and parents?
You have already graduated in reality because of passing your exams.
Same as A levels when you get the results on the day.

Why are you having such a hissy fit over this?
999tigger
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Airmed)
My uni gave us our certificates at the ceremony. If you aren't there, they post them out.
Unusual and the first ive heard of that. The norm I believe is not to, so when you get your picture taken with the scroll it is just blank.
I can think of several reasons why its better not to get it on the day.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Unusual and the first ive heard of that. The norm I believe is not to, so when you get your picture taken with the scroll it is just blank.
I can think of several reasons why its better not to get it on the day.
My uni is strange :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (226)
67.66%
No (108)
32.34%

Watched Threads