The Student Room Group

Maximum maintenance loan isn't enough

Hey all;
I just got my finance confirmation letter, and found that the maximum maintenance loan I can get is £4,607.
My parents are slightly below the low income number, so I was given a £233 grant also.
All of this together is £4,840.
My halls alone cost £4802.07 per year.

I'm not sure what to do now. My parents are not going to be supporting me financially AT ALL, as they already don't have enough money. I know I'll need a job but I'm not sure what the next step is right now. I don't want to have absolutely no money at uni to live until I find a job there.

I'm freaking out.
Reply 1
There aren't any grants in England. Is this Wales or Scotland? If the £233 is the household income assessed loan element then your household income must be > £60k. If this is the case your parents need to support some of the maintenance gap.
Original post by Clowning
Hey all;
I just got my finance confirmation letter, and found that the maximum maintenance loan I can get is £4,607.
My parents are slightly below the low income number, so I was given a £233 grant also.
All of this together is £4,840.
My halls alone cost £4802.07 per year.

I'm not sure what to do now. My parents are not going to be supporting me financially AT ALL, as they already don't have enough money. I know I'll need a job but I'm not sure what the next step is right now. I don't want to have absolutely no money at uni to live until I find a job there.

I'm freaking out.
You don't have to live in halls, do you? I know a lot of students like to, because it's generally the best accommodation, and close to campus, however there will be other house shares or student accommodation blocks that are cheaper, but may be further away. Check out the other options before you panic. Also, can you not get a job over summer, maybe? Even saving a little bit of money could help. You can live quite cheaply if you need to, pasta, rice, noodles, that kind of thing.
Reply 3
Original post by fbacc
There aren't any grants in England. Is this Wales or Scotland? If the £233 is the household income assessed loan element then your household income must be > £60k. If this is the case your parents need to support some of the maintenance gap.

I live in Northern Ireland, and am going to Glasgow. The £233 is a grant, as it states on my letter from them. The household income based loan is included in the total I said, sadly.
Reply 4
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You don't have to live in halls, do you? I know a lot of students like to, because it's generally the best accommodation, and close to campus, however there will be other house shares or student accommodation blocks that are cheaper, but may be further away. Check out the other options before you panic. Also, can you not get a job over summer, maybe? Even saving a little bit of money could help. You can live quite cheaply if you need to, pasta, rice, noodles, that kind of thing.

I've already booked the halls and signed the contract; this was before I realised how little I'd have a week. And unfortunately I have an eating disorder and dont like many foods so it's daunting to love on the things I really really hate eating
Reply 5
i have the exact same problem - only they are giving me £3990 loan and no grant and my accomodation is £6k and no help from my family :frown:
Reply 6
Hmm, your in a bad sweet spot on household income where the grant is low but household income is too high for most bursaries. You probably don't want to go there but if you attended a local university and stayed at home finances would be a lot easier. Your accommodation contract probably has a termination clause you can use if you don't attend Glasgow which would let you get out of it. But you would need to check.
(edited 4 years ago)
The OP might very well be going to Scotland because tuition fees are free for people who have Republic of Ireland citizenship, which being from the North, she may well have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending