Turn on thread page Beta

Obv it's exam time, and I have this friend (we're both female) who before I used to see about once a week. We're pretty close.
    However in the past 2 weeks I have been working 9-5, Mon-Fri in attempt to pay off some of debt and overdraft, whilst revising in my spare time and getting the odd day off her and there to actually sit my exams.

I told her before I started working/exams came round that this was what I was going to be doing. She texted me and tried to call me a few days ago, my phone was on silent and as I was broke (still havent been paid yet!) I couldn't text her back.

Now she's being really frosty with me. i tried to arrange to see her for lunch. She said it was a plan, then cancelled in a sort of cold way and said 'but you can meet me and friend x and friend y'' on wednesday if you can make it.

I know they'll probably have had a bit of a ***** about me so I don't know how to approach Wednesday. I feel bad that I didn't get in touch with her, but the other part of thinks ffs I'm trying to balance a full-time job and 2nd year exams, give me a break.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Agh, I really feel for you, OP. I really, really hate the way certain people try to guilt trip you into seeing them by getting all narky about it if you get busy. Some people just need to learn that sometimes you're busy. It's not because you don't like them, it's not because you don't want to see them, it's because you have things to do. You're not in the wrong - although you didn't answer her the first time, you have since got in touch. She's trying to play you here.

I suggest that you act as if nothing is wrong. Seriously. It works. If you don't believe that you're in the wrong, then she can't make you feel as if you're in the wrong. It takes two to guilt trip, if you see what I mean. She can't make you feel guilty if you don't want to feel guilty.

Thanks for your opinion! I totally agree, I just can't help thinking, maybe I should have FORCED myself to find the time...

ReputationRep:
    aww HUG to you OP, you've done nothing wrong. People like your friend do get on my nerves, you can't help having exams and having to work. You also told her before your exams that your going to be busy. Don't worry OP about them if they talk about you behind your back because it reflects badly on you friend and not you.
    I agree with Ywiss its best to act as if everything is normal, that shows that its not getting to you and you arn't the one who frankly is being a b***h. sorry shes you friend but tbh people like that generally are

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all the above. It really isn't your fault.
    You've been busy and obviously very stressed out and your mates should see that.
    Sometimes people just don't have the time to meet up and do things, and if anything they should be being extra nice to you as you have so much on your plate.

Ywiss is right. Just rise above it and pretend there is no problem. They will probably be over the issue soon anyway, and if they arn't well they're just being silly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.