The Student Room Group

Not being accepted as a doctor in the NHS. Any and all advice welcome!

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is in fact the right forum but hopefully someone who can help will see this. We see in the news all the time that the NHS is finding it difficult to recruit doctors. However, as a Medical Degree holder from a decent university, as well as not needing a UK Visa (my husband is British), I have been rejected to become a doctor here in the UK.

The situation:
I have passed the two required exams before applying, I have my GMC number and even have the hours required. However, I have been rejected on the basis that I don't have enough "Clock Hours". The reason they don't see enough Clock Hours is because I had to move medical schools during my education. I was educated in the Caribbean within approved universities but one of them (my earlier one) went into administration and the ones that have acquired the "books/ledgers" per say are not communicating enough with me to get my clock hour situation sorted out. Logic dictates that as someone who has received their Medical Degree at an approved institution would have by now done all the required learnings and practical aspects right?

The reason I am reaching out is because of the stress, frustration and depression. I have worked my whole life towards being a doctor and now the NHS are saying I can't? I was wondering any anyone has any advice towards this.

Many thanks in advance to anyone reading this and even more thanks to anyone with constructive advice.

D
Reply 1
Not as a consultant. PLABs and a Medical Degree is what I have. I feel like there must be someone I can contact and have them see the logic instead. Please help!
Who has rejected it? Edit: The GMC?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Who has rejected it?

My familiarity is limited but it seems very odd that you've been given a GMC number but that someone still thinks you aren't a qualified doctor?

I’m guessing OP was allocated a number when they first registered an account with the GMC when trying to apply for registration. Not sure if one gets allocated automatically when sitting PLAB, but being in possession of a number doesn’t mean it’s then registered / shows up on GMC. Like when final year med students are provisionally allocated numbers well in advance, you can be in possession of a number without having ever been registered with a license to practice.
I infer from this that OP tried to apply for registration and a number was allocated with a GMC account as part of this, but during the application stage GMC then found some concerns with OP’s PMQ meaning it was not eligible. I’m surprised they let you get as far as sitting PLAB before they confirmed that the PMQ was eligible, that’s a shame.
If what I’ve understood is correct, then the GMC are probably best placed to tell you if there is anything you can do to make your PMQ eligible eg how to do any extra hours that makes them official.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending