In praise of short men: will the rise of 'short kings' end toxic masculinity? Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
How many of you knew that today is Short King appreciation day?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...jonas-brothers

Micheal Foulk, 33, a 5’7 nonbinary comedian from Oakland, has noticed a double standard crop up in conversations about body diversity: “It’ll be like OK … we’re going to agree that we’re not going to be cruel to people that are heavier set or larger-bodied. But if people are short, it’s like, go off sis!”

Sizism is essentially unavoidable on dating apps like Grindr and Tinder, where users commonly forbid men under 6’ from contacting them. Tinder even made a 2019 April Fools joke about launching a “height verification” update that would prevent guys from exaggerating their stature to seem more appealing.

Yet short-shaming isn’t harmless. “There’s a host of studies that show short men are stigmatized in many ways, not only in people’s perception, but in actual real world outcomes as well,” says Joseph Vandello, a social psychologist specializing in masculinity at the University of Southern Florida. “People perceive shorter men as having fewer leadership qualities,” he says, citing findings that majority of American CEOs are over 6’ and voters prefer tall presidential candidates (including, at 6’2, Trump).

“There’s some evidence to suggest in the workplace taller men are paid more… And, with interpersonal relationships and dating, shorter men are less likely to marry than average men,” Vandello says.

Multidimensional interpretations of what is means to be a man are the wings on which the short king soars. The short king embodies the dismantling of the height hierarchy and conventional expectations, his masculinity firmly grounded and personally defined. In the words of Young-White, the short king is valid, hot, enough.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No.
Sounds like some campaigners are trying to portray males that are not tall as victims of societal oppression, mimic elements of the female body positivity movement telling short guys to be proud of their height and start celebrating shortness.

I doubt attempts to glorify or create a sense of pride in being below 6' will have much affect.
Except on those with very fragile egos or a bee in their bonnet about being hated for their height.
Most sane people don't obsess over height.
The focus is usually more on personality, lifestyle choices and ambitions.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There's a mythical universe where we've agreed not to be cruel to heavier people. This universe isn't it, nobody has agreed to such a thing, a ****load of people think being a jerk to someone cos of their weight (underweight incl btw) is gonna ''motivate'' them to change it.

So this conservation is a non-starter if the model for how to treat short people is how we treat heavier ones.
NoTearsLeftToCry
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A 5’7 man isn’t short to me because i’m also 5’7
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lol i can see it now - " short pride parades "

not going to justify or apologise for preferring guys taller than me... :confused:
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Short kings? Sod off.

Short men really need to get over their manufactured anxiety and learn to stand tall.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
lol i can see it now - " short pride parades "
I'd so go to a short pride parade and deliberately wear a really big hat to block the view of the men behind me.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Multidimensional interpretations of what is means to be a man are the wings on which the short king soars. The short king embodies the dismantling of the height hierarchy and conventional expectations, his masculinity firmly grounded and personally defined. In the words of Young-White, the short king is valid, hot, enough.
What the hell does this even mean? I've read it through several times and it's absolute gibberish.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The reason girls like tall men is that taller men have the high ground and thus they resemble General Kenobi

^Stolen from Reddit
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just like "bring your dog to work day", "national selfie day" and other national days, the majority of us don't give a f*** about it.
Afforestation
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just like the obesity campaigners. A political movement started by insecurity and self-hatred...
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm 5'6 and I can't stand the short victim hood mentality either.

I probably weigh more than guys who are 5'10-5'11 and I've never had any major issues with women. Granted you're not going to see me with any 6'2 Russian models any time soon but I can live with that.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'Short Kings'? What, was 'Wee D1ck Energy' already taken? :rolleyes:
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What's short men having low self esteem got to do with toxic masculinity? Any lad who's insecure about their shortness is usually that way cause they worry women don't date under 6ft. Female dating preferences are largely out of the male's control, no?
Jinwon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS)
A 5’7 man isn’t short to me because i’m also 5’7
But if you wear heels then it’s a bit of a sticky one
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.51%
Excited (156)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.89%
Terrified (380)
22.22%
Meh (168)
9.82%
Confused (37)
2.16%