The Student Room Group

Nursing open university Vs uni

hi guys. Just looking for some enlightenment here.
I'm currently in 2nd year of nursing in university however I had to ask for a time out mainly for personal reasons (e.g away placements - I have kids).
I'm thinking continue studies in OU , however I don't know if we need to do away placements and or if it is more demanding ( e.g more modules etc.). Have anyone switch from university to Open university (nursing)? What's the advantages and disadvantages? We continue receiving SAAS?
Any information would be grand.
Thanks guys and happy studies
Are you employed by a employer that is partnered with the OU? They should be able to advise you.

The OU website says (under entry requirements):

"Employer partnership
The University offers this practice-based qualification in association with partnering employers. You must be working in healthcare practice in a caring role where registered nurse mentors are available. You will need to discuss the opportunity with your employer and with a member of the nursing academic team in your location."
Thank you Meloes. I'm still wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of transfering to OU
Original post by Melora
Are you employed by a employer that is partnered with the OU? They should be able to advise you.

The OU website says (under entry requirements):

"Employer partnership
The University offers this practice-based qualification in association with partnering employers. You must be working in healthcare practice in a caring role where registered nurse mentors are available. You will need to discuss the opportunity with your employer and with a member of the nursing academic team in your location."
Your employer should be able to advise you about whether you will need a student loan or if they will continue to pay your salary (e.g. if you will be seconded). They can also advise whether you will stay in your current place of work or be expected to move around the Trust you work for.
You can only study nursing with the OU if your employer is partnered with them (that's how you'll get your required hours of practice).
thank you Melora
What do you mean by away placements? Can't your uni accommodate you and give you placements closer to your home/uni?

Do you work on top of your nursing degree? With OU most of your placements will be at your base (place of work, your ward etc) but you are still expected to gain other experiences such as community/surgical if you are based in medical. Like Melora said, you must be in suitable employment and employer must agree to support you.

Sorry I can't compare to brick uni, but I don't recommend OU. It's hard, there isn't a lot of support and you have to work your contracted hours, fitting study time in when you can. You don't get breaks like you would at a brick uni, it is relentless. I am biased, I'm half way through and miserable at the moment. Theoretically it is more flexible, but it's stressful and grades suffer because you don't get sufficient time to study unless your employer gives you study time (mine does not).

Quick Reply

Latest