Edexcel AEA Mathematics - 26 June 2019 - Discussion Thread Watch

A Slice of Pi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A discussion thread for anyone sitting this year's AEA paper.

The format for this year's paper is slightly different and new specimen material can be found on the Edexcel website: https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...tics-2018.html

Last edited by A Slice of Pi; 3 weeks ago
Your Local Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Edexcel have actually completely ruined stats in this new spec.
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That link is the old spec the new spec can be found here.
Your Local Cat
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name:  IMG_20190621_222746.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  116.6 KB
MasterOfHabit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've heard that there's stats and mechanics on this year's AEA but I haven't seen any stats questions on the Specimen material? So what should I expect? (there was one mechanics question)
Last edited by MasterOfHabit; 3 weeks ago
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MasterOfHabit)
I've heard that there's stats and mechanics on this year's AEA but I haven't seen any stats questions on the Specimen material? So what should I expect? (there was one mechanics question)
Statistics is on the spec so can come up. (see the link above) Something to be ready for.

The only reason I imagine it was absent from old AEA was because people didn't do the same applied modules, some people won't have done any stats/mech and done like D1/D2 or something but with the new spec everyone does the same applied.
Ctrlbadger
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anyone tried doing the SAM? Pretty scared now after doing it haha.
After finishing D1 today I really can't stomach all that revision for another paper.
Your Local Cat
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ctrlbadger)
Anyone tried doing the SAM? Pretty scared now after doing it haha.
After finishing D1 today I really can't stomach all that revision for another paper.
Edexcel just took it down? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nvm it's back up, they just changed the front page of the paper.
Last edited by Your Local Cat; 3 weeks ago
TAEuler
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For anyone who's familiar with both specifications for A-Level Maths I took AQA. But from a lot of videos I think what is required in the AQA specification regarding moments is very basic, are course contents the same for moments or does edexcel contain a lot more than AQA?
A Slice of Pi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Good luck with the exam tomorrow, everyone! I usually try to write up some model solutions to the paper every year, so if anyone can get hold of a copy of the paper (it's usually online 24 hrs after the exam) then send it my way and I'll see what I can do.
pdehwqdh12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Does anyone know where I could find the sample assessment for the new spec? I've looked on edexcel's website and I can't find it anywhere
Your Local Cat
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You know, one thing I like about STEP is NOT needing to do the vectors question ;-;
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Your Local Cat)
You know, one thing I like about STEP is NOT needing to do the vectors question ;-;
How was it, out of interest? Much different to the old spec with stats/mech added?
DisneylandChina
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wish there was mechanics. There was a single stats question that I didn't know how to do so I skipped
Your Local Cat
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by _gcx)
How was it, out of interest? Much different to the old spec with stats/mech added?
The logs, integration, trig, golden ration questions, I completed quickly in the first 45 minutes and think I got all/almost all the marks. I SOMEHOW managed to figure out the stats question after trying out random ****. I waffled on the last question and probably lost half of the marks. There were literally 5 variables...

Then there's the vectors question... I stared blankly at it for about an hour and could only do part b. which was only 2 marks ;-; I had no idea how to do part a. which was 4 marks and part c. which was 8 marks +S2. rip T1 mark lol.

I think I got about 70-75 marks out of 100. I could get a distinction but expecting a merit. Even though I did last years' paper as a mock and got 94.

Disappointed that there was no mechanics question. That vectors question was completely different from EVERY single AEA vectors question since 2002
Last edited by Your Local Cat; 3 weeks ago
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The logs, integration, trig, golden ration questions, I completed quickly in the first 45 minutes and think I got all/almost all the marks. I SOMEHOW managed to figure out the stats question after trying out random ****. I waffled on the last question and probably lost half of the marks. There were literally 5 variables...

Then there's the vectors question... I stared blankly at it for about an hour and could only do part b. which was only 2 marks ;-; I had no idea how to do part a. which was 4 marks and part c. which was 8 marks +S2. rip T1 mark lol.

I think I got about 70-75 marks out of 100. I could get a distinction but expecting a merit. Even though I did last years' paper as a mock and got 94.
The lack of choice of question I really don't like about the AEA, if I got rejected from Cam I think I would've done STEP I instead of AEA for WW more or less just for that reason. The questions I did felt too A-levely too, is that still a problem with the new spec? Golden ratio question sounds nice though, though I can't really say the same about that stats. Will definitely look out for the paper if/when it pops up on the emporium.

70-75 still sounds pretty good! Are any of your offers dependent on the AEA?
Your Local Cat
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by _gcx)
The lack of choice of question I really don't like about the AEA, if I got rejected from Cam I think I would've done STEP I instead of AEA for WW more or less just for that reason. The questions I did felt too A-levely too, is that still a problem with the new spec? Golden ratio question sounds nice though, though I can't really say the same about that stats. Will definitely look out for the paper if/when it pops up on the emporium.

70-75 still sounds pretty good! Are any of your offers dependent on the AEA?
Im in year 12 so it doesn't matter that much. Just doing it for fun as well as to show that I'm still keeping up to date with maths as I finished FM, old spec last year.
DisneylandChina
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I used the dot product to prove part a) of the vectors question but wasn't sure about part c. Also was pretty confused on the last question's part b), which was proving that t took a minimum. I tried taking the second derivative but I couldn't show that it was greater than zero - a lot of messy algebra everywhere in that question.

Disappointed that there was no mechanics question. That vectors question was completely different from EVERY single AEA vectors question since 2002
A Slice of Pi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
If anyone can get hold of a copy of the paper, I'll provide some model solutions.
gradians
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The stats question was weird - I didn't even know how to answer the last question, so I just put n=105, p=0.1 (giving 10 and 11 as the two modes). Would've much preferred a juicy mechanics question instead.

What do we think boundaries are gonna be? I found it much harder than past papers, so I'm hoping they'll be low this year...
Last edited by gradians; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads