The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GLAM™
i despise arrogance, just can't stand its such a bad trait:s-smilie: turn off, big time.

& this thread reminds me of AMG, wonder why:P

Shush you, we dont want this thread deleted as well... :P

Asides isnt it a bit arrogant to just pick something and despise it without justifying it?
Reply 61
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Shush you, we dont want this thread deleted as well... :P

Asides isnt it a bit arrogant to just pick something and despise it without justifying it?

sorry:redface: I was just writing what i was thinking....and btw, for the record i dont dislike AMG.Im quite indifferent in fact.
Me not stating my reasons for despising IT doesnt mean i dont have my reasons:P But i've known a few arrogant people, which happened to be men, and i couldnt stand them.= Personal experience.:cool:
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Firstly we live in a captalist society, which is based on a hierachical system, in fact I could go as far to say that we still have a class system to a large extent here. The reason that such a hierachy exists is because we have to have layers of organisation, and a way to justify being at the top, or as close to being at the top as one can be.
The social hierarchy is not exclusively based on wealth or capital. Class, for instance, has little to do with wealth; many relatively poor, ancient, titled families are easily upper class, while very wealthy individuals might not fall within the same social category. And again, if we use the academic yardstick, capital isn't the best measurement of hierarchy in a university, for instance, or in the scientific world. Take, also, institutions in which significant power is vested, but have little worth in terms of money. The law courts could prevail over the city with impunity. That various layers of hierarchy exist is true, but capital (i.e. money) is not the single unit of its measurement. Moreover, I fail to see how arrogance is essential to the social hierarchy. Ambition and arrogance are not the same thing imo.

Defining a greater good, or conviction involves quite an element of arrogance.

I'm not sure I follow.

Actually following through with it even more so. To be a true success, not just relatively successful you need quite a level of arrogance.

Arrogance, to me, implies treating people like ****. Confidence is a more private quality. Arrogance is more a word set aside for the flamboyant boaster than the person who knows his abilities and has the will to succeed. I really don't believe you need to be a flamboyant boaster in order to be successful. You don't have to be overbearing or disdainful or even "ruthless" - a word so beloved of the chavs-made-nearly-good who appear on The Apprentice - in order to succeed.

All successful people are not cocks, but it helps in a lot of social spheres, big business in particular. You have to be a **** somewhere to beat people, its the nature of any political environment.

Well it's a spectacular lack of imagination to assume you have to be a cock to succeed. I've always believed - and my experience at the bar seems to reinforce this - that you make fewer enemies by treating people with a modicum of respect. Being an ******* will only make you enemies.
GLAM™
sorry:redface: I was just writing what i was thinking....and btw, for the record i dont dislike AMG.Im quite indifferent in fact.
Me not stating my reasons for despising IT doesnt mean i dont have my reasons:P But i've known a few arrogant people, which happened to be men, and i couldnt stand them.= Personal experience.:cool:

It might be intresting to figure out if its the arrogance, or the person themselves you despise. Maybe not one to think about this late anyway...
Reply 64
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
It might be intresting to figure out if its the arrogance, or the person themselves you despise. Maybe not one to think about this late anyway...

i had just met them...
ClovisDynasty
The social hierarchy is not exclusively based on wealth or capital.

Exclusively no, but its a massive part of determining which circles you end up in...

Class, for instance, has little to do with wealth; many relatively poor, ancient, titled families are easily upper class, while very wealthy individuals might not fall within the same social category.

But again, it has a lot to do with social circles and access, though this is quite a tangent from the topic to go into mass detail with.

And again, if we use the academic yardstick, capital isn't the best measurement of hierarchy in a university, for instance, or in the scientific world.

Universities are highly political, have you actually been behind the scenes in a university, e.g. a board of studies meeting. Lets say many professors are not there on merit in some institutions.

In fact if you look at many famous scientists, the greats like Newton and so forth most had a repution as being extremely arrogant. Newtons lectures and tutorials were empty for a reason...

Take, also, institutions in which significant power is vested, but have little worth in terms of money. The law courts could prevail over the city with impunity. That various layers of hierarchy exist is true, but capital (i.e. money) is not the single unit of its measurement. Moreover, I fail to see how arrogance is essential to the social hierarchy. Ambition and arrogance are not the same thing imo.

The law courts fail miserably in regulating in the financial services sector, again they are not as powerful as you might think, by any stretch.

I'm not sure I follow.

There are a multitude of convictions out there that contradict each other. Assuming yours is the best over anothers and actively pursuing it is really abject arrogance, unless you are of course the worlds no1 genius (which of course is a non-existant position)

Arrogance, to me, implies treating people like ****. Confidence is a more private quality. Arrogance is more a word set aside for the flamboyant boaster than the person who knows his abilities and has the will to succeed. I really don't believe you need to be a flamboyant boaster in order to be successful.

Flamboyent boaster no, hide all your weaknesses effectively yes. Arrogance is probably the best method of doing it, and widely employed. You are very unlikely to get a top position on merit and luck alone.

You don't have to be overbearing or disdainful or even "ruthless" - a word so beloved of the chavs-made-nearly-good who appear on The Apprentice - in order to succeed.

But most there are, look at political biographies. Even our current PM had to be ruthless to get there, Bower did a pretty good biography illustrating it. Not that I dont respect Brown of course, in fact I rather like him.

Well it's a spectacular lack of imagination to assume you have to be a cock to succeed. I've always believed - and my experience at the bar seems to reinforce this - that you make fewer enemies by treating people with a modicum of respect. Being an ******* will only make you enemies.

Not a lack of imagination at all, I have thought that one through long and hard. I never said you had to be a universal cock of course, but you do end up with both friends and enemies by climbing the ladder.
GLAM™
i had just met them...

Well that is arrogant on your part really, there is a lot more to most people than initial impressions. Or am I just being hopeful?
Reply 67
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Well that is arrogant on your part really, there is a lot more to most people than initial impressions. Or am I just being hopeful?

yeah you're right but arrogance sticks out and annoyss me deeply when i see it. One of the guys he was like "you're ugly and stupid because youre from this country...and im the best because im from that country...i know my arrogance is annoying you"

At least he realizes and admits to it:rolleyes:
To answer the OP...

I hate arrogance because it implies someone's better than me. Which is wrong.... I'm better than them.
GLAM™
yeah you're right but arrogance sticks out and annoyss me deeply when i see it. One of the guys he was like "you're ugly and stupid because youre from this country...and im the best because im from that country...i know my arrogance is annoying you"

At least he realizes and admits to it:rolleyes:

That guy doesnt sound too smart tbh. Your letting your experiences of dim and arrogant people jaundice how you see bright and arrogant people. Two different catagories really, the latter tend to have something more to them than arrogance...
Reply 70
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
That guy doesnt sound too smart tbh. Your letting your experiences of dim and arrogant people jaundice how you see bright and arrogant people. Two different catagories really, the latter tend to have something more to them than arrogance...

mkay if you say so, although arrogance i would think usually has a negative connotation
GLAM™
mkay if you say so, although arrogance i would think usually has a negative connotation

Its usually part of a package, one that I believe is all in all a good one.
Reply 72
GLAM&#8482

You're right, arrogance is a negative in relation to people who actually aren't what they say.

It depends really....if someone has a legitimate reason, i don't see an issue. For example, if my friend was a fantastic tennis player and kept saying how good he was, i wouldn't really mind. However if he was exaggerating his ability, that arrogance would get under my skin. I hold my hands up to being rather arrogant in relation to English at school. I was the department 'gem' to all the Teacher's, who would always use my work and point to me as an example to others. And i did brag about my ability, but not in a serious way. I would always have a laugh and joke about it, and even make fun of myself at times. If you're too serious about something, it will get on people's nerves, however if you're able to joke at yourself it seems to be more acceptable.
Reply 73
stryker101
if you are arrogant and have reason to be.. fine.

bull****
If arrogance is over estimation of one's abilities then pretty much everyone is arrogant in one way or another.
I find it annoying when people think what they have to say is worth more than it actually is and this is an arrogance I see in a lot of people in a school environment from day to day...I guess arrogance is a lot more potent when it relates to said arrogant person having more (over)confidence in an area you feel particularly insecure in...
Reply 75
arrogance is sexy. When it isnt about putting other people down it can be an attractive trait I think.
krisss
arrogance is sexy. When it isnt about putting other people down it can be an attractive trait I think.

Definitely. I quite like confidence - even affected arrogance - as long as it doesn't extend to being overbearing and needlessly difficult.
Reply 77
Confidence is highly different from arrogance

Arrogance is unattractive
Annoying
Pompous
Pressumptuous
More often than not, with very little (whatever they are arrogant about) to back it up
It's tedious
It's also highly repetitive, you can often predict what they will say when certain topics are brpught up
Can lead to them being highly rude and making more insulting comments than msot people would dare (due to an inflated confidence, and them always being right)
Argumentative (I like someone being argumentative. but there is argumentative and argumentative)

Maybe this is me being bias, and I am sure that it will be fired back at me that I am generalising, but I'm basing this one an (ex) friend of mine, and the points I have made are logistical, I believe

I think the main reason people don't like it is because it belittles them though
louisedotcom
Because arrogance is extremely unnattractive, annoying, a horrible trait to possess and generally those who are arrogant dont really have any reason to be- they are just deluded.

couldn't have put it better myself.

and people treating arrogance and confidence as if they're synomyms like the OP seems to have done, annoys me too
Reply 79
For me, what most people would call arrogance i would see as self-confidence and self-assuredeness even if this confidence goes beyond what is infact true i dont really have a problem with it since it is a view that one holds about oneself. However when that viewpoint extends externally, in that you think you are better than everyone else (regardless of it being true) , this is something massively unattractive and should be supressed

Latest