The Student Room Group

Really struggling with manual driving lessons

I have had 19 driving lessons and started in October. My parents pushed me into starting learning to drive as I had delayed it for nearly a year (I’m 18), and I wanted to learn automatic but they booked me lessons with a manual instructor. I’ve gone through stages of feeling confident about driving but now I just am really struggling.

I’ve just finished A Level exams so had a break for a month to concentrate on them. I have had two driving lessons since and it’s just knocked my confidence completely. I’m still stalling the car, struggling with the gears and don’t even get me started on the clutch, every time I go towards traffic lights I’m trying as much as possible to slow the car down so then I don’t have to change gears back to first.

I keep telling my parents that I want to learn automatic and that I’m really struggling but it just ends in them shouting at me and telling me I’m being silly (and my mum saying well then just stop learning and get a bus everywhere for the rest of your life). AND I’ve ended up buying a second hand car just over a month ago which is manual...

I don’t know what to do, I really do want to learn to drive (and need to for Uni in September, it’s local so I’m staying at home but I need to get there and back) but the way this is going it will never happen. I feel like automatic lessons would be a better option for me (and I can always sell the manual car and buy automatic) but bringing it up to my parents ends in shouting and them not understanding at all. Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?
Original post by Kc123645
I have had 19 driving lessons and started in October. My parents pushed me into starting learning to drive as I had delayed it for nearly a year (I’m 18), and I wanted to learn automatic but they booked me lessons with a manual instructor. I’ve gone through stages of feeling confident about driving but now I just am really struggling.

I’ve just finished A Level exams so had a break for a month to concentrate on them. I have had two driving lessons since and it’s just knocked my confidence completely. I’m still stalling the car, struggling with the gears and don’t even get me started on the clutch, every time I go towards traffic lights I’m trying as much as possible to slow the car down so then I don’t have to change gears back to first.

I keep telling my parents that I want to learn automatic and that I’m really struggling but it just ends in them shouting at me and telling me I’m being silly (and my mum saying well then just stop learning and get a bus everywhere for the rest of your life). AND I’ve ended up buying a second hand car just over a month ago which is manual...

I don’t know what to do, I really do want to learn to drive (and need to for Uni in September, it’s local so I’m staying at home but I need to get there and back) but the way this is going it will never happen. I feel like automatic lessons would be a better option for me (and I can always sell the manual car and buy automatic) but bringing it up to my parents ends in shouting and them not understanding at all. Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?

It just takes practice really, I was really bad with gears.
If you learn in just an Automatic, it really restricts you in the future.

If you have your own car, I'd suggest going out with your parents and practice changing gear, after a while you'll get the hang of it.
Some people take longer to learn than others. I was in your boat and started to learn manual but just couldn't get it at all so went automatic. I prefer it cause I never have to worry about biting points or any of that at junctions, roundabouts and such and can just concentrate on potential hazards.

If you did learn automatic you will only be able to drive automatics. I found that there is substantially less second-hand automatic cars available and they are much more expensive, however i feel it's worth it for my personal benefit.
A automatic will restrict you a lot. Keep plugging on with your lessons. You'll get there. What's the issue with the gears? Do you lift the clutch too fast? Not know which gear to be in when?
I'd carry on practising with a manual for a little longer but if you're really struggling then don't be afraid to try out an automatic. They're becoming increasingly more popular in this country and there really aren't as many ''restrictions'' as people like to make out to be.
Reply 5
If you are having clunky gear changes sometimes its better to keep the clutch down for 1 second before moving the gear stick. May benefit by a change of instructor.
Reply 6
Original post by Kc123645

I have the same situation , my parents and other people are forcing me to do manual as you can drive both in the future and manual cars are cheaper.
Reply 7
Original post by khushiii
I have the same situation , my parents and other people are forcing me to do manual as you can drive both in the future and manual cars are cheaper.

This is a very old thread, so if you have any questions start a new one.

But I will give you this advice - switch to automatic. Not everyone can drive a manual and that is fine. If you feel manual is very hard, there is no point sticking to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending