How to afford travelling to open days... Watch

YasudaSayo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I live on the south coast and most of the unis I like are way up north, eg leeds. How the hell am I supposed to get up there? Train tickets are like £150. My mum doesn't drive because we can't afford it. How do people go so far for open days?
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not everyone can unfortunately.
I'd suggest picking a few you really like and only go to them.
If you can maybe narrow it down to 5 already and then go to post offer holder open days which would maybe around april time 2020. This means you only need to properly judge the uni on the campus and then based upon uni's you hold an offer for

It can be hard with less money but use photos and information online to help you
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by YasudaSayo)
I live on the south coast and most of the unis I like are way up north, eg leeds. How the hell am I supposed to get up there? Train tickets are like £150. My mum doesn't drive because we can't afford it. How do people go so far for open days?
Can you go with a friend who does drive? Offer to share the petrol costs because usually its much, much cheaper to drive than the train.
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're planning to go to multiple open days get a Railcard. They cost £30 but they cut the overall prices by a third, so you've already made that money back in one trip.
YasudaSayo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Can you go with a friend who does drive? Offer to share the petrol costs because usually its much, much cheaper to drive than the train.
I don't have any friends :')
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Coaches?

If you book in advance, train tickets are much less than £150.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 4 weeks ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Coaches?...
When I was a student I did coaches all the time. Now NO WAY

I don't have any friends :'
I'm sorry to hear this. What about other people at your school?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ask your school for financial assistance.

Really, visiting places is not necessary. You can glean as much info from other sources. E.g. understanding how far accom is from city centre, bus links from halls to campus, where lectures will be and who usually teaches, how lectures are typically taught.

Most people use open days as an opportunity to piss about in a random city for an after noon. They're superfluous.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To OP this isn't helpful but I didn't go to an open day. Some universities do offer a virtual open day designed for those who can't attend if that's an option? Like Papa Noto said there are other sources. E.g. Youtube (There's a lot of those university visit videos/day in the life of a University of Leeds Student videos)

Naturally you rich Northerner!
When I was a student I did coaches all the time. Now NO WAY

I'm sorry to hear this. What about other people at your school?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
..Naturally you rich Northerner!
I refer to coaches, but actually mean horse drawn stagecoaches - that's what we have here in the North!
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow you guys are more advanced than I thought, honestly thought you guys rode sheep as a form of travel. :holmes:
I refer to coaches, but actually mean horse drawn stagecoaches - that's what we have here in the North!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow you guys are more advanced than I thought, honestly thought you guys rode sheep as a form of travel. :holmes:

That's Wales, they use sheep for everything
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm ngl on a serious note I lived in Swansea for 3 years and I was disappointed by the lack of sheep. Wales, the North all the same to me. I only respect the borders of Surrey and London everything else is alien to me. I hear they still have mud tracks and wagons as the main form of transport in regions outside of Surrey and London..

That's Wales
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 4 weeks ago
martin7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Rail fares are much cheaper if you book ahead of time; but bear in mind that advance booking will normally restrict to a specific train and if you miss that then you can't use the ticket on a different one. Also, when travelling long distances you might need to get a very early train to arrive for the start of the open day. You might want/need to factor in an overnight stay. (If you do need to stay overnight, though, it's worth contacting the university's accommodation office. For open days outside of term time they may be able to offer an overnight stay in one of their halls for a reasonable rate; failing that, they may have a deal with local B&Bs/hotels.)
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You didnt go down the Gower or up towards Brecon then. Going from South to North Wales its all you see. Apparently I was told when I worked in Birmingham there were 7x more sheep than people in Wales although you wouldnt notice that in Swansea or Cardiff. You must have had a hell of a shock arriving in Swansea without seeing it especially HSV. Glad you enjoyed yourself though. There was a rumour years ago if the Swans didnt really want a player they showed him the Hafod and if they really wanted him they showed him Mumbles
I'm ngl on a serious note I lived in Swansea for 3 years and I was disappointed by the lack of sheep. Wales, the North all the same to me. I only respect the borders of Surrey and London everything else is alien to me. I hear they still have mud tracks and wagons as the main form of transport in regions outside of Surrey and London..
Interea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you can't afford open days there is plenty of information online, and then some unis offer refund for travel to applicant days once you apply and have an offer - I think this year Leeds offered a certain amount per mile for up to 60 miles driving, or up to £100 towards train travel. Cut down the cost a lot!
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have never ventured anywhere in Wales bar Cardiff and Swansea to be honest and indeed I only went to the Gower a few times for Caswell, Oxwell and Three Cliffs Bay. I plan to show my parents around Pembrokeshire and maybe Brecon (would be my first time venturing to these areas) The one time I saw a lot of wildlife was walking to the peak of Kilvey Hill. And you are right I spent most of my time in the centre of Swansea and I visited Cardiff a lot with the latter being extremely urbanised. To be honest I had no idea what to expect and HSV was completely unexpected both in terms of what it looked like and also I wasn't meant to live there but St Modwen didn't build it in time and they moved us to HSV. I actually went to Swansea and Margam for a field trip which gave me the idea to apply there. (At this point I never looked at the university and Bay Campus was just a brownfield site.) One of my housemates loved Swansea so much he's staying there now with his girlfriend and to be honest I have nothing bad to say about Swansea it's become a second home to me and I took a risk going to somewhere which I had little to no knowledge of but I'm glad to say it paid off. Hafod. :rofl: The mumbles is absolutely divine this rumour is likely to be true.
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You didnt go down the Gower or up towards Brecon then. Going from South to North Wales its all you see. Apparently I was told when I worked in Birmingham there were 7x more sheep than people in Wales although you wouldnt notice that in Swansea or Cardiff. You must have had a hell of a shock arriving in Swansea without seeing it especially HSV. Glad you enjoyed yourself though. There was a rumour years ago if the Swans didnt really want a player they showed him the Hafod and if they really wanted him they showed him Mumbles
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have never ventured anywhere in Wales bar Cardiff and Swansea to be honest and indeed I only went to the Gower a few times for Caswell, Oxwell and Three Cliffs Bay. I plan to show my parents around Pembrokeshire and maybe Brecon (would be my first time venturing to these areas) The one time I saw a lot of wildlife was walking to the peak of Kilvey Hill. And you are right I spent most of my time in the centre of Swansea and I visited Cardiff a lot with the latter being extremely urbanised. To be honest I had no idea what to expect and HSV was completely unexpected both in terms of what it looked like and also I wasn't meant to live there but St Modwen didn't build it in time and they moved us to HSV. I actually went to Swansea and Margam for a field trip which gave me the idea to apply there. (At this point I never looked at the university and Bay Campus was just a brownfield site.) One of my housemates loved Swansea so much he's staying there now with his girlfriend and to be honest I have nothing bad to say about Swansea it's become a second home to me and I took a risk going to somewhere which I had little to no knowledge of but I'm glad to say it paid off. Hafod. :rofl: The mumbles is absolutely divine this rumour is likely to be true.
a couple of miles further out than HSV there is a farm doing Christmas trees that has its own herd of reindier and between Swansea and Brecon there is a huge cave complex called Dan yr Ogof. Worth taking your parents there if you come back down.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
16-26 railcard costs £30 for a year and you get 30% off. If travelling with a parent you can get a 2 together railcard for £30 and get 30% off each.

Booking in advance will give you big savings. You will have to reserve your place and stick to it. Try National Rail Enquiries. Sometimes spltting your journey can give big savings ie booking a ticket from where you live to say Birmingham and from there to Leeds say.

Alternatively look into National Express or Megabus. You might need to stay. If you want more help pm me the date of the open day where it is and where you are travelling from. I will look and get back to you.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have just checked the advance fare from London to Leeds on 7 September for the Leeds university open day is £18 each way. You would need to add on the amount from where you live to London and doesnt involve a railcard. You would need to make sure you were at Kings Cross in plenty of time to catch that train. There are trains leaving London at 8.03 and 8.33 arriving Leeds 10.16 and 10.47. Return Journeys leave 16.15 and 16.45 arriving London 18.32 and 19.01.
Last edited by swanseajack1; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (109)
58.6%
No (77)
41.4%

Watched Threads