Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, as most people probably have, i have unwanted text books now the end of the year is here.

I've kept my books in pretty neat condition, i didn't write in any of them, no rips and only slight bends in the spine, and the best Blackwells (bookshop on campus) can offer me is 30% of their original cost. Considering i spent over £100 on text books this year, i hope i can get a better deal than that.

Question is, how do i get rid of them without being completely ripped off??

ReputationRep:
    E-bay, or Amazon Marketplace.

I'd go for E-bay.

ReputationRep:
    E-mail service in uni to send to all the people in year below, and just knock off 10-20% off original price?

ReputationRep:
    amazon marketplace is your best bet because then if you bought a book for say £20 you could sell it for about £15. dont use ebay

ReputationRep:
    Amazon is the best bet...the better condition the higher the price

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Amazon, but don't expect to get more than about 50% of the original price, in my experience. Also check that your uni doesn't have any schemes going, here in Leeds one of the bookshops buys unwanted textbooks off you, I think.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.boso.com/

site for students to sell unwanted textbooks

ReputationRep:
    After postage and listing fees, you lose even more money on ebay and amazon than you would selling by other means.

Emailing down to the year below in September via your department secretary is a good way. Using places that don't charge you to list, such as Facebook Marketplace and www.sellstudentbooks.com, also maximises your profits.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah, definitely try to contact people in the year below. I bought a book off a second-year student who joined a Facebook group for incoming students and offered to sell the books slightly cheaper. So Facebook groups are a good way to go

ReputationRep:
    Play.com

Car-boot sale .

ReputationRep:
    Has to be Advanced Book Exchange aka Abebooks

ABE

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.