Undergrad grades needed to get into Oxbrige Postgraduate courses?

Watch
username4850910
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Excuse that dodgy typo in the title.) I'm entering the final year of my undergraduate degree in English and I was wondering if anyone could give me an indication of what sort of overall grade I would want to graduate with if I am applying to Oxford or Cambridge for Masters courses. Basically, how high does your first class honours need to be?
Last edited by username4850910; 7 months ago
Jerryxsx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"Applicants are normally expected to be predicted or have achieved a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours (or equivalent international qualifications), as a minimum, in English literature and/or English language, or exceptionally a related subject."

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/grad...50-1700?wssl=1
username4850910
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Jerryxsx)
"Applicants are normally expected to be predicted or have achieved a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours (or equivalent international qualifications), as a minimum, in English literature and/or English language, or exceptionally a related subject."

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/grad...50-1700?wssl=1
I did read that, but that is just a bare minimum requirement I think. I would not expect that they admit a ton of students with 2.1s, even though they would certainly admit a few. I'm curious about what the average overall result of students who are accepted is.
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by laur26)
I did read that, but that is just a bare minimum requirement I think. I would not expect that they admit a ton of students with 2.1s, even though they would certainly admit a few. I'm curious about what the average overall result of students who are accepted is.
I don't know that that would be public information and, in any case, it wouldn't necessarily be useful: the application process is more holistic than just looking at your degree transcript alone, so someone might be admitted on the strength of an excellent statement of purpose, research interests consonant with the faculty's specialties, brilliant writing samples, and references which explain a slightly lower set of grades. Furthermore, every year's crop of applications is different, so someone with a high 2:1 might be successful in one year when they wouldn't have been successful with the same profile the year after or before, because of the nature of the cohort with which they were competing.

It's natural to want to know this, but it isn't really knowable, and if you're hoping to spend time in academia there's a lot to be said for getting used to dealing with unknowable and uncontrollable information. Or, to look at it another way, there is a very precise machine for finding out what your chances of admission to an MSt/MPhil program in English at Oxford or Cambridge are, and that is the application process itself. Your best bet in the meantime would be focusing on doing as well as possible in your current degree, rather than trying to second-guess what kind of overall mark you should 'aim for' so as to be 'exceptional enough'.
muttondresser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I received an offer to study MPhil Modern and Contemporary Literature at Cambridge, but accepted UCL's equivalent program for logistical reasons. I had a high 2.1 (flunked a core course but performed strongly in the others). The referee and writing samples probably worked in my favour; I got on with my supervisor who was more than happy to give a glowing reference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads