The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

Thanks a lot, plus look forward to getting an A because you seem to be some sort of Hamlet master!

I'm doing a different paper though. Nothing lyrical related, it's Hamlet/merchant's tale
Yuffie
I definitely love you now :smile: :smile: :biggrin:

thanks for the rep...one of the first things i noticed on your profile was that you were a scorpio as well:smile:
hehe. great minds eh?
Reply 42
does anyone know how much of the overall UMS mark this exam on wednesday is? also how much unit 6 and the coursework are of the overall mark?
Reply 43
hahaha hamlet master. I WISH :|
well i dont tbh, i just wish id get an A

ahhh isnt it? it should be one of the back pages, you have to trawl through it a bit; but basically if it isnt, the lyrical ballads is the same in how its set out, just interchange interpretation for context.

but i look at the markscheme and it just seems to good to be true.
:|
Reply 44
spaceape
does anyone know how much of the overall UMS mark this exam on wednesday is? also how much unit 6 and the coursework are of the overall mark?

im not sure of the ums marking for the exam, but id really love to find out!
and the unit 6 is 120 and coursework is 90
Reply 45
francescarella
thanks for the rep...one of the first things i noticed on your profile was that you were a scorpio as well:smile:
hehe. great minds eh?

I've noticed lots of profiles say scorpio on, but I don't think it's because there are more of us (in fact I reckon there are less) it's more that we see that astrology is relevant and helpful and not just "rubbish" :biggrin:
Reply 46
so i guess this one is 90 as well. that is pretty good; i was happy with unit 6 and cannot do lyrical ballads for the life of me, so the less marks for it the better.
Reply 47
haha lyrical ballads i swear im just gona learn context, and hope for the best :|
i think it sounds a lot easier than the hamlet, i duno why
Yuffie
I've noticed lots of profiles say scorpio on, but I don't think it's because there are more of us (in fact I reckon there are less) it's more that we see that astrology is relevant and helpful and not just "rubbish" :biggrin:

exactly! i read my horoscope today and was like "hmmm that is quite relevant and it actually makes sense to my current situation."

anyway, on topic, am i the only one doing hamlet/ laguage production? or am i missing something...
Reply 49
Yeah i thought lyrical ballads was easy, but then i did a mock the other week and got some godawful mark on it. apparently it was because i was doing too little about too many poems rather than concentrating on just three or four. and i guess i know hamlet rather well so its not too much of a worry.
i dont know any context!!
Reply 50
ahh context, give me like 5 minutes to type up my context, thats pretty much all weve done the whole year LOL
and itll be revision for me, before i go and do some cold war *shudders*
from that report int he last post --> "confident use of relevant scenes"

do we have to say in Act blah Scene blah...

...know the correct act and scene basically?
oh wheres it gone i swear someone had posted a link i just clicked on it?!
Reply 53
ahh im sure laura's context notes are going to be a godsend!!!
Reply 54
CONTEXT(lyrical ballads)

firstly to apologise for the time delay, brothers are an amazing pain in the bum sometimes...
anyways im posting them up; hope they help in anyway in anyway, if you don't understand what im babbling on about, please just ask!

SOLITARY FIGURES includes social outcast poems like the female vagrant and the indian woman one (forgot the name of it)
- most of the characters in wordsworths poetry appear to be unsociable, which is typical of romantic literature; being a solitary person, you can be happiest when you only have nature for company. also you can link the idea of being alone and in solitude, allows you not only to connect with nature, but the idea of imagination.
solitude in childhood is presented in the poem "expostulation and reply"

"Wordsworth regarded it as important to consider and appreciate nature fully, and this could be done most intensely alone. this could explain reasons why he has such respect for solitary figures he writes about in his poetry."

the very lonely characters he writes about are ORDINARY rustic people. this incorporates ideas of the "Noble Savage", which was a romantic theory that primitive/rustic people who are at one with nature (no manners, but live in nature) are "purer" than civilised people who live in cities, and follows the conventions.

Wordsworth envied people who lived according to the rule of nature rather than social constraints which were imposed by codes and conventions. he admired the simplicity of life - their emotions are pure and they cared less about people's opinions of them.

this can be linked to human suffering poems in the anthology, because rustic people's emotions were so pure and simple, when they are contrasted (i cant remember the poems name) to the death and disease imagery it creates a greater impact; and shows the great extent of societies effect on nature and natural thinking.
is everyone revising nature and social inequalities :s-smilie: I thought there was no point since it came up in Jan ? :
Reply 56
Galatea
For Hamlet, the character question might well be either Opehlia, Gertrude or possible Horatio, or a combined Rosencranz and Guilderstern as they haven't come up yet. For lyrical ballads, I've no idea; anything out of imagination, childohood, the marginalised/poor, etc

What do they always ask a question on characters then? Cos if that's the case I'll just revise all the characters!
Reply 57
the early romantic period coincides with the AGE OF REVOLUTIONS (the main catalyst revolution for lyrical ballads was the french revolution, and the one applied to the poetry was the industrial revolution)
basically at the core of all romantic poetry, not just lyical ballads was a sense of revolution. the romantics changed how people percieved the world, it followed the era of enlightenment which was reason.
romanticism was a revolution from reason to subjectivity and imagination.

imagination
romantics regarded imagination as the supreme faculty of the mind (which contrasted to the reason era of enlightenment)
they regarded imagination as "the shaping and creative power of the human mind" and was placed on the same level as the creative powers of imagination. so it was pretty big stuff!!
unlike the previous era, it was an active form of power rather than a passive one - and was regarded as the "primary faculty for creating all art" and also most importantly they saw imagination as the "faculty which helps humans to constitute reality, we don't just percieve reality, but we also create it (via perception).
IMAGINATION IS THE WAY IN WHICH PEOPLE CAN "READ" NATURE AS A SYSTEM OF SYMBOLS.
so basically if you mention that in one of the poems something is a symbol of nature, or a piece of nature is symbollic of something else....then you can mention how through symbolism romantics are exposing the faculty of imagination.

it might be helpful to look at the different ways coleridge regarded imagination, there was fancy imagination and such like (i still need to research that).
Reply 58
well social inequality came up, but there is still social outcasts and such like.
and then nature incorporates pretty much everything, as romanticism is being at one with nature.
to be honest i think its a safer bet revising nature, because what ever question comes up youll be able to link back :smile:
just a suggestion!!
Do you think the questions could be a choice between the political aspect and a choice between the literary aspect of the poetry?

Because the last ones were a choice between nature and suffering people - maybe there will be one on the imagination and i dont know - imprisonment or childhood or something.

It's only a guess and i probably sound like a ******. But fingers crossed there isnt a choice between supernatural and parent/child relationships.

How much do we have to write for this exam do you think?

Latest

Trending

Trending