Law & business combined a-level course any good? Watch

future_11
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Basically for any one who dosent know its a combined Law and Business A-level course which gives you the equilivant of 2 A-levels. I'm not sure if this is any good and whether it's flexible enough. So this means i will have three alevels through a Law and Business course. Any thoughts?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by future_11)
Basically for any one who dosent know its a combined Law and Business A-level course which gives you the equilivant of 2 A-levels. I'm not sure if this is any good and whether it's flexible enough. So this means i will have three alevels through a Law and Business course. Any thoughts?
It sounds weird, why don't you do normal A levels?
future_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Because thats the only law and business courses they do (the joint), like they don't do them separately. I agree it does sound strange. What do you think i should do?
future_11
Rep:
?
Basically for any one who dosent know its a combined Law and Business A-level course which gives you the equilivant of 3 A-levels. I'm not sure if this is any good and whether it's flexible enough. So this means i will have three alevels through a Law and Business course. Any thoughts?
I MEANT 3 A-LEVELS *****
(Original post by harrysbar)
I meant it gives the equivalent of 3 not 2 a-levels *****
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I MEANT 3 A-LEVELS *****

I meant it gives the equivalent of 3 not 2 a-levels *****
I don't know the course so can't really comment on its worth. I would email Admissions at some of the unis you are interested in and ask their advice about whether or not this course would be an acceptable alternative to A levels.
future_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Are you sure this is A-levels and not either an Access course or some other form of Level 3 qualification (BTEC etc)?
It says it's a Level 3 Diploma... so what does that mean? I thought it just meant A-levels?
future_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
No it’s not A-Level, just equivalent to them in the same way International baccalaureates are.
So does this mean that this course its fine to do if i want to go to Law school because it's equivalent.. or??? It's a bit confusing
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Some unis would prefer you to take 3 actual A levels rather than a course that the provider deems equivalent. You really need to contact some Uni Admissions staff for advice before committing yourself to this course as you don't want to find out further down the line that the unis you are interested in would have preferred A levels or a BTEC/A level combination
future_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Depends on which law school you hope go to. Some accept these type of qualifications, some don’t.
I've just fount that CILEx do it. Its called Level 3 Diploma in Law and Legal Skills.
If you have time could you read up or it (or don't idm)
Would u recommend doing it?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What do you intend to do after A levels? This matters both in terms of subject you might do at Uni, and how acceptable A levels combined with an 'other' qualification.

Be careful of vague qualifications that colleges/schools try and pass off as 'an A level' when they aren't. Something described as 'Level 3' might have the same workload but they are often not equiv. to an A level in academic content, they are more 'vocational' than A levels and Unis know this. For instance, lots of people were conned by schools/colleges into doing a Diploma in Criminology 'because its an A level' (it isn't) and then discovered that lots of sensible Unis will not look at it for Law (as just one example).

You need to ask your college some very hard questions (they will try and fob you off with 'its the same as an A level' cobblers) - like 'Exactly what have people who have done this in the past gone on to do?'. And keep asking until they are honest with you.
future_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
What do you intend to do after A levels? This matters both in terms of subject you might do at Uni, and how acceptable A levels combined with an 'other' qualification.

Be careful of vague qualifications that colleges/schools try and pass off as 'an A level' when they aren't. Something described as 'Level 3' might have the same workload but they are often not equiv. to an A level in academic content, they are more 'vocational' than A levels and Unis know this. For instance, lots of people were conned by schools/colleges into doing a Diploma in Criminology 'because its an A level' (it isn't) and then discovered that lots of sensible Unis will not look at it for Law (as just one example).

You need to ask your college some very hard questions (they will try and fob you off with 'its the same as an A level' cobblers) - like 'Exactly what have people who have done this in the past gone on to do?'. And keep asking until they are honest with you.
I intend to do Law. Yes and i've tried to find other people who have done this course online and their reviews but it keeps coming up with the CILEx site , and obviously they aren't going to say anything bad about the course! Would u recommend doing it for law?
future_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Why would I read up on it? That’s your responsibilitity
Oh i already have !!! but its so confusing and there's no clear answer or what one could do after complete the course
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've just fount that CILEx do it. Its called Level 3 Diploma in Law and Legal Skills.
Its a vocational qualification for those who want to work in a lawyer's office. It is not equivalent to A levels, and it wont get you to University. If you want to do LLB Law, and be a lawyer, do 3 A levels.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
NO. See my replies above. It only qualifies you to do legal admin work.
If you want to 'do Law' at University you need 3 A levels.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
It can get you into some universities - there will be plenty that will accept it
Usually only if you are a Legal Exec with several years work experience.
It isnt designed as a school-leaver-going-straight-to-Uni qualification.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Firstly - that is a rude response.

Secondly, as I am a Law Admissions Tutor, I probably know more about this than you do.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
It’s not rude - it’s factually correct.
It is rude, the way you talk to people is rude
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Well I find giving people ill-informed and incorrect advice on here rude, and worse than that dangerous.

If it needs calling out, I will call it out. As bluntly as needed.
What makes you so sure you know more than a Law Admissions tutor? No doubt you are an expert in legal recruitment but you are not an expert in university admissions so it's just your opinion.

And even if you were right there is still no excuse to be rude to other people.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
You must have missed the part about working with law faculties for the last five years.

All I know is what RM is saying is highly incorrect. Whether that be the work I have done with universities in a number of different capacities or as a legal recruiter, I know students who have and are studying in UK universities with Level 3 qualifications that are not A-levels. The idea that 3 A-levels are the only route in to a law degree is wrong - I have no doubt about that.

As someone who has been a careers counsellor, you of all people should know the dangers of giving this type of advice.
How could I have missed it?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
You must have missed the part about working with law faculties for the last five years.

All I know is what RM is saying is highly incorrect. Whether that be the work I have done with universities in a number of different capacities or as a legal recruiter, I know students who have and are studying in UK universities with Level 3 qualifications that are not A-levels. The idea that 3 A-levels are the only route in to a law degree is wrong - I have no doubt about that.

As someone who has been a careers counsellor, you of all people should know the dangers of giving this type of advice.
Yeah, migrant is very highly informed for Bristol Uni. He sometimes gets overexcited and thinks Bristol's standards must be applied across the board.

It is a repeated issue the regulars have had with him. We are lucky to have him on here, but his advice should be taken with fistfuls of salt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
12.5%
They might tell the bully (2)
12.5%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
18.75%
It might lead to more bullying (5)
31.25%
There's nothing they could do (4)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest