Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an average student and i'm not going to be getting 3 A's this summer, I'm taking a gap year.

I want to do English but I don't where is good for my ability.

Anybody know any good universities for English that don't want lots of points to get in?

ReputationRep:
    Define not a lot of points.

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln 'Tis great

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths.

ReputationRep:
    Most traditional universities will want ABB/BBB minimum for english. If you're not looking at this, you want to be looking at the ex-polys, of which there are a lot. There's one in most of the bigger university cities, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murr)
    Most traditional universities will want ABB/BBB minimum for english. If you're not looking at this, you want to be looking at the ex-polys, of which there are a lot. There's one in most of the bigger university cities, really.
    What is an "ex-poly"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmkimberley)
    What is an "ex-poly"
    The newer universities that were only granted university status in recent years. They're usually the secondary uni, with extra words tagged onto the name, i.e.:

Liverpool Hope
    Leeds Metropolitan
    Oxford Brookes
    Bath Spa
    Manchester Metropolitan
    University of West England, Bristol

And the list goes on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murr)
    The newer universities that were only granted university status in recent years. They're usually the secondary uni, with extra words tagged onto the name, i.e.:

Liverpool Hope
    Leeds Metropolitan
    Oxford Brookes
    Bath Spa
    Manchester Metropolitan
    University of West England, Bristol

And the list goes on...
    Okay, places like Plymouth and Portsmouth have been universities for years - are they better than ex-poly's or not

ReputationRep:
    Swansea is good

ReputationRep:
    Brighton fo sho

ReputationRep:
    Portsmouth is an ex-poly, as is Plymouth.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for everyones help

ReputationRep:
    We could help you a lot better if you tell us what grades you're expecting to get.

ReputationRep:
    I want to to Plymouth but i need BBC, but it is my second choice. My first choice is Kingston i need ABB to get in. If i was to get BBC and Kingston accepted me still could i decline and then go to Plymouth
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Firstly, what grades will you be getting? We need to know to be able to advise on a university.

Also, what sort of place do you want to attend? What about the location and type of university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Firstly, what grades will you be getting? We need to know to be able to advise on a university.

Also, what sort of place do you want to attend? What about the location and type of university?
    B in English
    B in Art
    D in Psychology
    C in General Studies

340 UCAS

I looking for a place that is good but easier to get into, preferably a city
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by dmkimberley)
    B in English
    B in Art
    D in Psychology
    C in General Studies

340 UCAS

I looking for a place that is good but easier to get into, preferably a city
    Your A-Level in English, is it Language, Literature, or combined? Also, at university, do you want to study Language, Literature, or combined?

Some universities to consider are...

Wolverhampton
    Liverpool John Moores
    Liverpool Hope
    Brunel
    Goldsmiths
    York St John's
    Keele
    Bristol UWE

ReputationRep:
    combined
    thnks for help

wolverhampton is too close but i will consider others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Your A-Level in English, is it Language, Literature, or combined? Also, at university, do you want to study Language, Literature, or combined?

Some universities to consider are...

Wolverhampton
    Liverpool John Moores
    Liverpool Hope
    Brunel
    Goldsmiths
    York St John's
    Keele
    Bristol UWE
    Of those, only Brunel, Goldsmiths and Keele are worth looking into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akmd)
    Of those, only Brunel, Goldsmiths and Keele are worth looking into.
    You can't make that decision for anyone. LEave it up to the applicant. UWE isn't all that bad for a start.

Can I just say OP, you're incluidng general studies in your points total, aren't you? Many universities will not accept General Studies.

I was going to suggest Northumbria, they ask for 300 points. Now bare in mind that it's consistantly thought of as one of the top ex-polys (and a match for the older universities in a number of areas) but also that they usually don't accept General Studies.

Also English isn't Northumbria's strongest subject (law, physics, psychology, business and art/creative degrees as well as the typical ex-poly teaching, nursing subjects are its strong areas). Still, it's a solid enough ex-poly and is in one of the finest party cities of the world

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.