Jazzybear01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
A levels: History,Politics and Sociology. Predicted grades: A*A*A

Doing Politics/Politics and International Relations at LSE has been my dream for the past 3 years or so. However, when I got higher grades than I was expecting in my mocks, many people have encouraged me to apply to Cambridge. The thing is, I like the HSPS course as it combines Sociology and Social Anthropology with politics, but it doesn't mention any courses on statistics or quantitative methods (unlike LSE) which I really want to learn at uni. Hence why I prefer BSc politics courses over BAs. My ambition is to enter Academia (most likely in Politics) but I haven't seen or heard of any academics who have studied HSPS at Cambridge as opposed to LSE graduates.

Personally, I prefer the LSE campus over Cambridge as it has a more modern look and feeling to it, whereas I'm not really into the atmosphere at Cambridge.

I know that I may have a slighter chance of getting into Cambridge as the application per place ratio is 7:1 whereas LSE is 24:1. If I were to apply for both of them later this year, it would be hard and time consuming as I would have to write around 2-3 personal statements that are specifically suited to both universities. They are both picky over personal statements styles, espcially LSE.

What do you think? Which course is better in your personal opinion? Should I apply to both or either one of these universities?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Why not both?
Jazzybear01
Rep:
?
The problem is that I may have to do 3 personal statements: One specifically for LSE (as they are definitely picky), one for cambriduge (because I have to talk about why I enjoy Politics,Sociology and Social Anthropology) and the last one for the other universities (why I like Pol and IR in general)
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Why not both?
king axolotl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
lse does not have a 24:1 offer rate

politics is 4.2:10 - https://university.which.co.uk/londo...9-354010145a28
politics and ir is 1:10 - https://university.which.co.uk/londo...9-72bfa0d60182

what you might be looking at is the acceptance rate, which includes not only those who receive offers, but those who accept their offers - which will be heavily accentuated by those who reject their lse offer to go to other universities.
what i'd recommend is applying where you actually want to go. there'll be no harm in applying to cambridge, and you have no obligation to accept your offer if given one. if you want to go to lse, go, don't look at the stats.
king axolotl
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
you cannot write multiple personal statements. you can only write the one. other universities will be understanding of the academic nature of you personal statement and you will not be adversely impacted by that. cambridge have the 'saq' which will allow you to write a mini personal statement which explains why you are interested in applying there specifically. so essentially, by the sounds of it, you should be writing a personal statement for politics and international relations and then filling out the saq extra personal statement should you apply to cambridge.

(Original post by Jazzybear01)
The problem is that I may have to do 3 personal statements: One specifically for LSE (as they are definitely picky), one for cambriduge (because I have to talk about why I enjoy Politics,Sociology and Social Anthropology) and the last one for the other universities (why I like Pol and IR in general)
Jazzybear01
Rep:
?
I see, So I can just make a personal statement on Pol and IR and send it to Cambridge and then do a Saq that is specifically suited to the uni?
(Original post by king axolotl)
you cannot write multiple personal statements. you can only write the one. other universities will be understanding of the academic nature of you personal statement and you will not be adversely impacted by that. cambridge have the 'saq' which will allow you to write a mini personal statement which explains why you are interested in applying there specifically. so essentially, by the sounds of it, you should be writing a personal statement for politics and international relations and then filling out the saq extra personal statement should you apply to cambridge.
Jazzybear01
Rep:
?
Ah I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. I thought the acceptance rate was 24: 1 when I was listening to a subject talk by a professor at LSE.
(Original post by king axolotl)
lse does not have a 24:1 offer rate

politics is 4.2:10 - https://university.which.co.uk/londo...9-354010145a28
politics and ir is 1:10 - https://university.which.co.uk/londo...9-72bfa0d60182

what you might be looking at is the acceptance rate, which includes not only those who receive offers, but those who accept their offers - which will be heavily accentuated by those who reject their lse offer to go to other universities.
what i'd recommend is applying where you actually want to go. there'll be no harm in applying to cambridge, and you have no obligation to accept your offer if given one. if you want to go to lse, go, don't look at the stats.
king axolotl
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I see, So I can just make a personal statement on Pol and IR and send it to Cambridge and then do a Saq that is specifically suited to the uni?
yep! the saq isn't quite as long as a personal statement but its written with the knowledge that cambridge offers courses that aren't offered at many other universities i.e. land economy, hsps etc
Ah I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. I thought the acceptance rate was 24: 1 when I was listening to a subject talk by a professor at LSE.
see ive heard quite a few stories about this. maybe its lse trying to advertise themselves as a reputable university. seems unnecessary to manipulate the stats seeming as we already know that lol. its not unheard of other universities doing things like this too, bare in mind. oxbridge's offer rate is too inflated by the chance you can only apply to one or the other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads