Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To what extent do you think that's true? (sorry, sounds like a bloody essay question!)

Whenever I hear about someone that's made a lot of money, it's usually through gambling, or at least 'safe' betting (bet matching etc), investments, deficit banking etc. Then I find out that they started off with a few ton at least! Also, everyone I know who are in well paid jobs, come from fairly well off families. I know we read about these fairy tale rags to riches stories a lot, but does anyone actually know someone who's made a bundle from nothing?

ReputationRep:
    Guy from my ordinary comprehensive school, was the only one to get three As at A Level at my school, went to UCL, studied Economics, then joined PwC, and is now making bucketloads. I know everybody aims for IB when it comes to money making, but by the looks of it, they're paying him very well. And still as modest as the day I met him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOSCS)
    but does anyone actually know someone who's made a bundle from nothing?
    You have to be kidding me?!

I don't know anyone but there are loads of examples where people have started nothing and have a lot money. One example, Arnold Schwarzenegger!! (bad example - but you don't have to look far)

Look through the rich list and read their history, most were initially broke. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ^So basically, that's a no.

ReputationRep:
    I think for the ordinary, average person it's quite true. With money, you can invest it, buy things that will increase in value, buy a resturant or do whatever. The majority of which make a profit.

However, their are the exceptional few, who start with nothing and still make money. Most of the billionaires we know of today all started with practically nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Which presents the question: Is it still possible?

ReputationRep:
    Eh?? Is it still possible to need money to make money??? Weird question.

The really gifted people can make money without anything. Normal people require money to make money. Simplified.

ReputationRep:
    No, I mean is it still possible to make money from nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOSCS)
    ^So basically, that's a no.
    wth? Read my post again.

ReputationRep:
    Or, read my post again. I was asking does anyone actually know someone who had made it, rather than the 'celebrity' stories. Everyone loves a zero to hero romantic tale, that's why we know about these people. I bet far more rich people didn't climb that ladder though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOSCS)
    Or, read my post again. I was asking does anyone actually know someone who had made it, rather than the 'celebrity' stories. Everyone loves a zero to hero romantic tale, that's why we know about these people. I bet far more rich people didn't climb that ladder though.
    yeah it must be ****ing impossible to make money from nothing. because clearly, everyone with loads of money made it from gambling or 'investments'. yeah, clearly. i mean, nobody actually gets a job and works themselves up the pay-ladder. nah. nobody does that. jobs are so 20th century.

ReputationRep:
    When I saw your username I thought you might be an arrogant prat; when I read your post, I thought you were an arrogant prat.

ReputationRep:
    ok. well that was constructive. please try and keep on topic, this is a very interesting question.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know any celebrities or anyone at the top of a 'rich list'.
    I have family members who came from poor working class backgrounds (think not owning a phone/any heating/a car) to making a lot of their own money through working their way 'up the pay ladder' as someone else said. Without going into specifics, suffice to say the change in lifestyle between the generations is huge.
    It's definitely possible. I don't think anyone will deny that having money is one factor which makes it 'easier' to earn money though, if you know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    I've made a decent amount from virtually nothing doing business. How much, I'd rather not say, but you could buy a very nice car with it.

Started off with £2, made sweets, sold door to door. Repeated until I was making sweets constantly with a network of people selling door to door. Making 50p profit for myself a bar, producing 100 bars a day, for 2-3 hours work.

Doing something even more lucrative now, but it's confidential as I have a small market and don't need competion.

This kind of entrepenurial spirit is rare, but I know a few people who do similar, but not as much money made.

What motivates someone like me? Never having the money to buy the things I wanted when younger, always having less money than the other kids. Now, the situation has reversed and I rather like it. And it's more satisfying earning it rather than a mind numbing job or daddy giving you it. I'm hugely ambitious, massively so. I've got bigger plans.

ReputationRep:
    It's a myth that people can make money "from nothing". I mean, how? Unless you are a director or a hedgefund manager, you will simply not make a meaningful fortune from your day job (by meaningful, I mean the sort of money which will allow you to neve rhave to work again). The fact is, a well-paying job is a good way to get the necessary capital to start up a venture of some sort. But making money out of "nothing" is nigh impossible, unless you're lucky enough to make a fortune out of writing or from very clever use of existing resources. But even then, without investment, you will only go so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClovisDynasty)
    It's a myth that people can make money "from nothing". I mean, how? Unless you are a director or a hedgefund manager, you will simply not make a meaningful fortune from your day job (by meaningful, I mean the sort of money which will allow you to neve rhave to work again). The fact is, a well-paying job is a good way to get the necessary capital to start up a venture of some sort. But making money out of "nothing" is nigh impossible, unless you're lucky enough to make a fortune out of writing or from very clever use of existing resources. But even then, without investment, you will only go so far.

There are many things you can startup without needing to have a good job to invest money in it. Plenty of entrepeneurs have sold out the back of a car/van to start off with.

You may need as you expand to get more money, loans or outside investment would provide this.

If you are poor and not getting good grades in school, do not give up hope. You have to keep going, start whatever it is up, have the drive, the ambition, rather than give up as you have little/no money to invest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    There are many things you can startup without needing to have a good job to invest money in it. Plenty of entrepeneurs have sold out the back of a car/van to start off with.
    You can't sell what you don't have. i.e. literally starting with nothing.

You may need as you expand to get more money, loans or outside investment would provide this.
    These are actually not as easy to get hold of as people would imagine, especially if you have little credit rating or a low-paid job. In any case, this is no longer quite "nothing".

If you are poor and not getting good grades in school, do not give up hope. You have to keep going, start whatever it is up, have the drive, the ambition, rather than give up as you have little/no money to invest.
    This is true. I think getting qualified in some capacity is the surest way of getting access to the funds and facilities that allow one to generate wealth.

ReputationRep:
    You can't sell what you don't have. i.e. literally starting with nothing..
    You can actually. I can't name the thing I'm now doing for competive reasons, but I sold my first order for £500, recieved the money in, then bought materials, made the thing, easy.

These are actually not as easy to get hold of as people would imagine, especially if you have little credit rating or a low-paid job. In any case, this is no longer quite "nothing".
    True, but my point was you only need an investment for many things when you start getting alot bigger, and then you can register as a limited company, you aren't personally liable for loans, and you can impress the banks/investors with your current and predicted figures etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    You can actually. I can't name the thing I'm now doing for competive reasons, but I sold my first order for £500, recieved the money in, then bought materials, made the thing, easy.
    Writing and other intellectual property is about all I can think of, but I keep an open mind. Are you providing a service of some sort (I don't, of course, expect details)?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.