A-level help
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m starting A-levels in September and I’ve chosen maths, computer science, media(gonna drop) and BTEC ICT extended diploma I wanna get into the computing industry - is this a good choice and what are the chances of landing a degree apprenticeship because I would rather do that then go to UNI straight
Last edited by A-level help; 5 months ago
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Your chances at getting into a degree apprenticeship depend a lot on your skills and your final A-level grades, although your subject choices are fine for that.

The process of applying to degree-apprenticeships is similar to finding any other job, and it boils down to a decision by the employer on whether to hire you based on whether they think you're the right person for the job; That includes on a technical and problem-solving level but also to check that you're enthusiastic and motivated to learn, able to cope with the demands of the job, and generally have the right kind of attitude.

You can expect the assessment days at a lot of employers to involve several things:
- A technical and logical skills test, which will usually be some an informal paper test (e.g. around 1hr) where you're asked to solve a number of problems or given some technical questions to answer
- Follow-up discussion with the interviewers reviewing your answers to the test and asking you to explain your answers and thought processes, usually continuing with more technical questions.
- General face-to-face discussion about the skills you've written on your CV, any relevant/related projects you might have been involved in, and relevant skills you've picked up (Not just from A-Levels, but also in your spare time); that may include being asked to demonstrate a project you've completed and feel proud of.
- Some more general workplace interview questions - usually employers looking to test your communication skills, find out more about you (e.g. why you want a technical IT career), and may include asking you to make some kind of short presentation about yourself to the interviewer

If you achieve high A-Level grades then that will open up a lot of opportunities in terms of being invited for more interviews; employers will look at your grades as well as the technical skills on your CV too, so it really helps a lot to be able to use your CV to describe some detail about the skills you've learned and how/where you've used them (A well-written CV can make a big difference so it's worth putting the effort in). For example, if you've built an app and hosted it on GitHub then you can include your GitHub URL (They're fairly likely to have a look - e.g. see what you've done, what your coding skills are like, how well your project is presented online, etc) and use the CV to describe things like tools and technologies you've used (programming languages, databases, developer tools, O/S skills, scripting, testing, etc). Your A-Level computer science project would also be good for this too.

Lastly there's also a matter of whether you'd be willing to move for the degree-apprenticeship; your chances at finding something are much higher if you're willing to move to a new city where there are a lot of IT jobs, and some parts of the country have a lot more opportunities than others, and you will need to play the 'numbers game' a little bit since there's always more people applying than the total number of placements avaiable.
Last edited by winterscoming; 5 months ago
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
As someone that has participated in a degree apprenticeship programme, I'll be honest with you.

If you don't do at least 3 A-Levels with very high grades, you won't get in.
A-level help
Rep:
?
A btec is equivalent to 3 a levels tho?
(Original post by Xarao)
As someone that has participated in a degree apprenticeship programme, I'll be honest with you.

If you don't do at least 3 A-Levels with very high grades, you won't get in.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by A-level help)
A btec is equivalent to 3 a levels tho?
Extended Diploma is.
A-level help
Rep:
?
Yeah that’s what I’m doing BTEC ICT extended diploma, a levels in computer science and maths
(Original post by Xarao)
Extended Diploma is.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by A-level help)
Yeah that’s what I’m doing BTEC ICT extended diploma, a levels in computer science and maths
Ah thought you meant the regular one, then you should be okay. Is there a point in even doing computer science if you're doing ICT though?

Also, don't rely on getting into a degree apprenticeship. I had to vs against many hundredth of applicants for less than 10 positions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (61)
18.71%
Labour (160)
49.08%
Liberal Democrats (46)
14.11%
Green Party (20)
6.13%
Brexit Party (4)
1.23%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.92%
SNP (7)
2.15%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.61%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.23%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)