The Student Room Group

Life decision!! For alevels

Hey guys so basically, I have just finished my igcse's, and i already have to choose my A-level subjects. I was planning on choosing physics, biology and chemistry but my parents are telling me to choose maths as well. They said that universities actually favor students who have taken math as well, and obviously that is going to be my priority. On top of that I love maths, and I am good at it too, i am just confused because people usually say that 3 subjects are the limit to get all A. They say like 4 subjects will be too hard to handle, so what do you guys think? And how many did you guys choose?
Original post by rforlife3451
Hey guys so basically, I have just finished my igcse's, and i already have to choose my A-level subjects. I was planning on choosing physics, biology and chemistry but my parents are telling me to choose maths as well. They said that universities actually favor students who have taken math as well, and obviously that is going to be my priority. On top of that I love maths, and I am good at it too, i am just confused because people usually say that 3 subjects are the limit to get all A. They say like 4 subjects will be too hard to handle, so what do you guys think? And how many did you guys choose?

People (not the sensible ones) dont say the limit is three, what they should say is that Unis only consider the best three, so the dilemma is will doing four limit and impact your grades v if you did three.

Some people are clever enough to do four, but plenty of people just pick their best three.
AABB is not going to get you as far as A*AA.

What you need to think about is if you already know the degree you wish to do.
Does that degree have subject requirements and if so make sure you are doing them.

In the event you dont know then take the subjects that keep the options you want open.

If you want to do four, then do so in the knowledge it is a better choice for you and your ability than simply choosing three.

What you are saying your parents said is not true in all circumstances. Unis arent really bothered if you did four or three.
In most cases maths is only relevant if it is a required subject.

My advice is if you already know the degree, then do your best/ most enjoyable three. That may or may not include Maths.
If you believe four will not be a problem, then do four.
Reply 2
Basically, my older sister is doing medical and they went to universities and asking for their requirements from other countries. Most of them said that they choose good grade obviously but if someone had 3 A or 3 A and then another A for math, they are more likely to choose them as they already seem to be experienced and have the background knowledge for calculations that they do in medical school. Like they are biased towards people who take math basically. But I think that even though A level are only 4 subjects each subject has more content than all 8 igcse combined which scares me, like i dont know if i can handle it. How many do you take?
Original post by 999tigger
People (not the sensible ones) dont say the limit is three, what they should say is that Unis only consider the best three, so the dilemma is will doing four limit and impact your grades v if you did three.

Some people are clever enough to do four, but plenty of people just pick their best three.
AABB is not going to get you as far as A*AA.

What you need to think about is if you already know the degree you wish to do.
Does that degree have subject requirements and if so make sure you are doing them.

In the event you dont know then take the subjects that keep the options you want open.

If you want to do four, then do so in the knowledge it is a better choice for you and your ability than simply choosing three.

What you are saying your parents said is not true in all circumstances. Unis arent really bothered if you did four or three.
In most cases maths is only relevant if it is a required subject.

My advice is if you already know the degree, then do your best/ most enjoyable three. That may or may not include Maths.
If you believe four will not be a problem, then do four.
Basically, my older sister is doing medical and they went to universities and asking for their requirements from other countries. Most of them said that they choose good grade obviously but if someone had 3 A or 3 A and then another A for math, they are more likely to choose them as they already seem to be experienced and have the background knowledge for calculations that they do in medical school. Like they are biased towards people who take math basically. But I think that even though A level are only 4 subjects each subject has more content than all 8 igcse combined which scares me, like i dont know if i can handle it. How many do you take?

My explanation was detailed and my advice clear. If you do 4 and cant cope then drop one. If you are unsure at the outset, then just do your best 3. Universities ask for three. The chance of the fourth coming into play are low. I can only talk about the UK. If you want to follow what your sister and parents say that is up to you.

Hi. I applied for med school for 2019 entry and from my experience, there is no bias towards those who take maths a level. I did chem, bio and spanish and managed to get 4 offers so there is no real advantage to doing maths in my opinion. Like has been said above, A*AA is better than AABB

Quick Reply

Latest