Turn on thread page Beta

Synoptic Revision Edexcel - Decomposition watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone explain about the different types of decomposition? Eg. differences in land/water, carbon + nitrogen.

And I don't understand what organic means..? My book says sewage contain domestic and industrial waste predominantly organic.. yet I thought the bacteria broke down sewage into ammonia (not carbon-related compounds?)

ReputationRep:
    well there is only one type of decomposition i learnt in unit 3...its just the normal decompsition...where organic matter(substances from that were once living or are hydrocarbons) are broken down to inorganic substances such as CO2 H2O and so on...

well not all bacteria can break down nitrates to ammonia there are specific denitrifying bacteria which can do this such as pseudomonas denitrificans
    i think you got confused between the carbon cycle and the nitrogen cycle....
    try being more specific in the question...i cant really understand it...

hope i helped...:rolleyes:

(Original post by Sky Twilight)
    Could anyone explain about the different types of decomposition? Eg. differences in land/water, carbon + nitrogen.
    The only one I recall is the decomposition of dead organic matter to ammonia, CO2 and H2O. Maybe you mean different processes of the nitrogen and carbon cycle?

And I don't understand what organic means..? My book says sewage contain domestic and industrial waste predominantly organic..
    Organic material is decayable material from living organisms. It normally contains carbon.

yet I thought the bacteria broke down sewage into ammonia (not carbon-related compounds?)
    I think you mean nitrogen fixation? Nitrogen fixation by Rhizobium bacteria turns N2 to nitrate, ammonia or ammonium ions. But that is in plant roots.

ReputationRep:
    I thought there were 2 types of decomposition.

Eg breakdown of organic matter (which are also nitrogen containing compounds) into ammonia = decomposition/ammonification, by putrefying bacteria
    and the breakdown of organic matter into CO2, water in soil by saprobionts

Sorry if I'm confusing =/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2008

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.