Sending off for Full License by post, can I still drive?

Watch
MagesticMoon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi folks,

I passed my driving test yesterday with 5 minors, which I am very happy with.

I have changed address from what is on my provisional license, and I need to update the photo.

So I know I need to send out the provisional and pass certificate with the form and a new photo.

Am I allowed to drive during this process, as obviously I won't have my provisional or pass certificate?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MagesticMoon)
Hi folks,

I passed my driving test yesterday with 5 minors, which I am very happy with.

I have changed address from what is on my provisional license, and I need to update the photo.

So I know I need to send out the provisional and pass certificate with the form and a new photo.

Am I allowed to drive during this process, as obviously I won't have my provisional or pass certificate?
Of course you can, the DVLA computer records would show that you have passed.

It's not a legal requirement to carry your driving licence at all times anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/legal-obligations-drivers-riders

If a police officer asks you to, you must be able to show:
  • your driving licence
  • a valid insurance certificate
  • a valid MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)

If you don’t have the documents with you at the time, you may be asked to take them to a police station within 7 days.
MagesticMoon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)

It's not a legal requirement to carry your driving licence at all times anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/legal-obligations-drivers-riders

If a police officer asks you to, you must be able to show:
  • your driving licence
  • a valid insurance certificate
  • a valid MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)

If you don’t have the documents with you at the time, you may be asked to take them to a police station within 7 days.
Many thanks.

To further on my question, I am trying to fill out this D1 form but it is confusing me.

I need to change address (I would have done before the test however there was no way my provisional would have got back to me in time for it). So I was told to fill out the D1 and send my provisional and pass certificate with my new address. Which postcode do I send this to as there is 2 seperate ones for changing address and full license? Do I still need to send proof of identity?
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Eventually, yes.. but those records will take some time to update. DVSA results are currently being sent by snail-mail (yes - even in 2019) for processing and can take several days for backlogs to clear and for the info to be sent to DVLA.

In the meantime, police who carry out a roadside stop will only have official confirmation of a provisional licence and will have to make a decision whether to seize the vehicle.

It would be wise for the threadstarter to notify their insurance company of the test pass and establishing continuity of the policy before taking to the road, as well as taking a photocopy of the pass certificate before sending it away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (17)
39.53%
No (22)
51.16%
I don't know (4)
9.3%

Watched Threads