The Student Room Group

Deciding future Career?

Hi there, I was wondering wether anyone could help me. I’m still in secondary school but I want to know what I’m doing when I leave. I really want to work with animals and always have, for a long time I’ve wanted to be a zookeeper. And really I still do.

But apparently zoo careers are scarce and are paid badly for their hours and what they do in general, and that was told to me by another zookeeper them self. But the she also said that if it’s what you really want to do you should do it. I don’t want to work with animals for the money, and I really wasn’t concerned about it until now, but I want enough money to live if that makes sense?

So then I flip over to the other side of my argument, I was thinking about veterinary, I know it would take a long time to get into though. I just don’t know if I’d be a able to cope in surgeries when animals are cut open etc etc and I’d be scared of doing something wrong and hurting the animal/making things worse. My great-nan has always said I’d make a great vet (like her dad) but I’ve always said I don’t think it would happen.

Or maybe something in conservation? Idk what tho so suggestions would be nice.

I think tho that I’d like to go into more exotic animals and wild animals, I do like household pets and horses too but I feel like wild animals are more where I’m meant to be if you get what I mean.

So what do you think would be best? I hate not knowing what my action plan is. When I leave school I just want to be prepared so I can work hard and get to where I want in life.

Thank you! :smile:
Conservation sounds fun, but you should do further research in more broad areas and then hone in on what you want to do. Try not to make a rash decision as you’ve still got time to decide!

I had a quick search for being a conservationist and it says most have an entry level University degree for animal studies, which makes sense if you are to have a deep knowledge of certain animal(s). This could range from wildlife Biology, Natural resources, agricultural science, environmental sciences and much more so have a look into each.

The best way to know if you like each is to get some work experience (for both would be fantastic!) which will help you decide. Also, it allows you to ask questions and share your aspirations and build connections with people particularly if you’re looking for further outreach (potentially internationally).

In the end, it’s not too late to make a fully informed decision for what you want to do, but it’s up to you to find your passion(s) and be wary of other potential pathways too.
There is nothing wrong with wanting enough money to live.

A career in veterinary medicine does have better job prospects than a zoo keeper and you will get paid more but not as much as other medical professions. Biology is not predictable and yes you will make wrong decisions, misdiagnoses and the procedures you are doing may result in death of the patient (doesn't mean you have been negligent - but even then you will feel guilty). I almost passed out watching my first op - but I quickly got over it and am working on further qualifications in small animal surgery at the moment; I qualified as a vet 3 years ago. It is a rewarding, but demanding and sometimes stressful job - have you been and done any work experience at a vet practice? That would help you decide perhaps, and you will need to start building up your work experience portfolio before applying to uni .

Bear in mind, you don;t need to know right now what you want to do longer term. Have you thought about taking a gap year to help you decide?

Original post by soggy-sandwich
Hi there, I was wondering wether anyone could help me. I’m still in secondary school but I want to know what I’m doing when I leave. I really want to work with animals and always have, for a long time I’ve wanted to be a zookeeper. And really I still do.

But apparently zoo careers are scarce and are paid badly for their hours and what they do in general, and that was told to me by another zookeeper them self. But the she also said that if it’s what you really want to do you should do it. I don’t want to work with animals for the money, and I really wasn’t concerned about it until now, but I want enough money to live if that makes sense?

So then I flip over to the other side of my argument, I was thinking about veterinary, I know it would take a long time to get into though. I just don’t know if I’d be a able to cope in surgeries when animals are cut open etc etc and I’d be scared of doing something wrong and hurting the animal/making things worse. My great-nan has always said I’d make a great vet (like her dad) but I’ve always said I don’t think it would happen.

Or maybe something in conservation? Idk what tho so suggestions would be nice.

I think tho that I’d like to go into more exotic animals and wild animals, I do like household pets and horses too but I feel like wild animals are more where I’m meant to be if you get what I mean.

So what do you think would be best? I hate not knowing what my action plan is. When I leave school I just want to be prepared so I can work hard and get to where I want in life.

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending