Balancing redox in basic solution help!!!!

Watch
Rasaa22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys, I have just balanced a redox reaction in a basic solution, everything adds ups, apart from the charges at the end...
I’ve got -4 on one side and -2 on the other. Is it normal for the charges to not balance sometimes? And if so, what is it this called?
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As far as I'm aware your charges should balance in a redox equation (unless I'm misunderstanding you). Could you possibly post what you've got?
(Original post by Rasaa22)
Hi guys, I have just balanced a redox reaction in a basic solution, everything adds ups, apart from the charges at the end...
I’ve got -4 on one side and -2 on the other. Is it normal for the charges to not balance sometimes? And if so, what is it this called?
Rasaa22
Rep:
?
Yes, question: HCN > CO3^2- + NH3. In a basic solution. (CO3^2- as in Carbon and 3 oxygen with -2 ion charge)

Ended up:
4OH- + HCN > CO3^2- + NH3 + H2O
The atoms balance but not the charge
(Original post by Interea)
As far as I'm aware your charges should balance in a redox equation (unless I'm misunderstanding you). Could you possibly post what you've got?
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think in this case you can just add electrons to balance the charges, as it is not a full redox equation (i.e. combining 2 half equations). See what anyone else says though, I've got a headache so I'm not exactly with it right now...
Yes, question: HCN > CO3^2- + NH3. In a basic solution. (CO3^2- as in Carbon and 3 oxygen with -2 ion charge)

Ended up:
4OH- + HCN > CO3^2- + NH3 + H2O
The atoms balance but not the charge
Rasaa22
Rep:
?
THANK YOU SO MUCH! That’s exactly what I thought, adding electrons at the end to balance the charge. But I wondered if there was any rules, and what does it mean by ‘not a full redox equation’
Sorry to hear it, hope you feel better soon!! Xxxx
(Original post by Interea)
I think in this case you can just add electrons to balance the charges, as it is not a full redox equation (i.e. combining 2 half equations). See what anyone else says though, I've got a headache so I'm not exactly with it right now...
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sometimes they refer to equations with electrons and only either oxidation or reduction as half equations, and then when you combine a reduction and oxidation equation (balancing to cancel out electrons) you get a full redox equation.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! That’s exactly what I thought, adding electrons at the end to balance the charge. But I wondered if there was any rules, and what does it mean by ‘not a full redox equation’
Sorry to hear it, hope you feel better soon!! Xxxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.62%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.57%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.23%
I need help with my personal statement (89)
41.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.88%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.51%

Watched Threads