Turn on thread page Beta

London College of Fashion watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm realllly into fashion and dressmaking and I've booked onto a course at LCF to create a collection. It's one of their "young creatives" courses, for people between 16 and 18.
    Has anyone done a short course/summer school there or anything similar (like at Central Saint Martins or anywhere)? Experiences etc...

ReputationRep:
    Not done any courses there, but I had an interview there and all I got was snobbish, snotty and horrendously arrogant behaviour - and that was from a tutor. You couldn't pay me to go back there.

Sorry if that's not exactly the kind of reply you had in mind! lol.

ReputationRep:
    This should probably go into the careers section? Or the LCF forum (if there is one...)

Anyway, I have never been to LCF but I have researched it a lot as it was going to be a university choice. I've also spoken to people who go there and those who know people who go there.

Lowdown.

- LCF is a VERY *****y, stuck up, we are better than you place.
    - The girls and boys that go there are VERY into their fashion and expect to be the next big thing
    - This is a generalisation but quite a few people who go there.. well lets just say they are well off. Daddy keeps them in the designer labels and every Topshop collection
    - And on a personal note a girl from my sociology class has it as her firm, I refer to her as the "Topshop *****" as she is a complete **** who looks down her nose at anyone over a size 8 and wearing something other than Primark/Topshop/a label.

This is only the negatives though, and they sorta balance the positives... maybe.

- LCF is renowned, it's alumni is fantastic and it is the best place to go for a fashion course/BA etc. It's contacts, tutors and resources are brilliant.
    - Obviously London is fashion central. Enough said. (And you know that being from London :p:)

Basically if you are a complete cow, or can withstand silly little girls (staff included) you will be fine. Obviously it's not about them, it's about the course but this is just a fair warning...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misswilliams)
    This should probably go into the careers section? Or the LCF forum (if there is one...)

Anyway, I have never been to LCF but I have researched it a lot as it was going to be a university choice. I've also spoken to people who go there and those who know people who go there.

Lowdown.

- LCF is a VERY *****y, stuck up, we are better than you place.
    - The girls and boys that go there are VERY into their fashion and expect to be the next big thing
    - This is a generalisation but quite a few people who go there.. well lets just say they are well off. Daddy keeps them in the designer labels and every Topshop collection
    - And on a personal note a girl from my sociology class has it as her firm, I refer to her as the "Topshop *****" as she is a complete **** who looks down her nose at anyone over a size 8 and wearing something other than Primark/Topshop/a label.

This is only the negatives though, and they sorta balance the positives... maybe.

- LCF is renowned, it's alumni is fantastic and it is the best place to go for a fashion course/BA etc. It's contacts, tutors and resources are brilliant.
    - Obviously London is fashion central. Enough said. (And you know that being from London :p:)

Basically if you are a complete cow, or can withstand silly little girls (staff included) you will be fine. Obviously it's not about them, it's about the course but this is just a fair warning...
    ?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a course there, a bra fitting one that was just a weekend short course, however i have friends who go there and are the nicest people ever.

I find the staff there interesting, they spill your creative juices and on top of that the location is brilliant, plus the parties are great lol

I certainly didn't meet any spoilt little girls, they were creative, passionate and professional young women working in a sterotypical enviroment yet making their mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    ?!?!
    Did you not hear, Primark is the new black
    I dunno, it's become all the rage now :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    I've been to a course there, a bra fitting one that was just a weekend short course, however i have friends who go there and are the nicest people ever.

I find the staff there interesting, they spill your creative juices and on top of that the location is brilliant, plus the parties are great lol

I certainly didn't meet any spoilt little girls, they were creative, passionate and professional young women working in a sterotypical enviroment yet making their mark
    We all have different experiences of it, my post was a little hasty and I don't expect EVERYONE there to be like that but there is truth in what I said.

I haven't been there, but like you said you have friends there as do I and I'm just relaying what I've been told by them.

Bra fitting course though.. really? That sounds wicked

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying at LCF in September; i've only been to the the John Princes campus & Davies Street but I can honestly say that the people I met there were absolutely lovely. I'm not a teeny size 6/8 but equally I'm no bigger than 12 and I really thought this would be an issue for me but it wasn't in any way. The tutors I've met were charming, funny and evidently dedicated to what they were teaching and I was astounded by how relaxed I felt in this enviroment.
    The only piece of advice I can offer you is just know who you are and be relaxed and confident in yourself. If you've taken the time to apply to this shortcourse then you're just as dedicated as anyone else, I also guarantee that everyone else will be super nervous too!

ReputationRep:
    More more, tell me more about this university please!!

ReputationRep:
    This is scary... Im going to LCF in september too... Doing Fashion portfolio. Is any1 doing tht course of has any1 gone thru it b4?

ReputationRep:
    Walked past it yesterday, horrible looking building...fraid I don't know much about it so that's my only input! Do LCF get places in the IC halls?

ReputationRep:
    I wana go to LCF they do a BSc in cosmetic science!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glassheart)
    More more, tell me more about this university please!!
    full of chicks, pretty hard to get into straight off the bat...thats all i know!

I'd say its one of the best places to study fashion though as the university of arts london is still one of the best names in its field and practically all the tutors have experience in fashion and aren't just teachers, if you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to the university a few times, for interviews and then sort of admin stuff and all of the people there have been lovely everytime I went.
    The people who head the course were very sure of themselves which is probably a good way to describe most of the staff and students at the university that I have come into contact with- they are only really there because they should be ie the staff have experiance, the students are good at what they are applying for.

But yeah, some of the girls at my interview seemed a big unapproachable, but they were probably thinking the same about me! And when you actually get talking to them they are in exactly the same boat, and everyone is going to want to make friends when they go there!

If fashion is your thing and you really love it there isn't a better uni to go to and even if there are some difficult people to get on I bet its nothing like the real industry, so it will probably prepare you well for that!
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    As a warning

My friend just graduated. She said it was a joke of a course. In her final year she was paying £3000 for 5 minutes contact time a week. There were people in her class that by the end of the 3 years still needed translators. Their show is what shocked me the most. They chose not to display at GFW this year, instead they had a room full of buisiness cards. If you liked the look of the card you took it to one of the two screens to view a few pages of their portfolio. Problem is this was a room full of the cards of EVERYONE that graduated this year. So the uni isn't interested in promoting students as individuals

This is an interesting account

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ereducation.uk

The fashion industry is a difficult and at times nasty place. It's not easy. But at uni you should be paying for contact time and experience with good names. Go on Catwalking and see the photos from various universities GFW shows. Just because somewhere has fashion in the name doesn't mean it's the best. In fact some of the best fashion courses are at some crappy unis because simply, the unis are willing to put all their money in to promote said course

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little worried now after reading the posts about LCF. I was thinking of applying for their Study Abroad course in Fashion Merchandising & Communications? in January and wonder how a Canadian girl would manage there. This would be my second career so I'm a bit older and wonder how these girls would be. Can anyone recommend a better school or course for getting into becoming a fashion stylist or buyer? Anyway help would be greatly appreciated, it's difficult to figure out from so far away!! THANKS!!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know whether London College of Style gives opportunities to find a job?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if anybody has done a course on lingerie design or knows anyone that has and would be keen to start a line. please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me if the maths test at LCF is a full calculator paper or do you have to remove your calaculator for some of it? I don't know how it works, can someone help please ?

ReputationRep:
    some help is it a full calc test or not? i dont know how to prepare and it is driving me insane. planning and preparation prevents poor performance, so please heeeeeellllllppppppp.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.