Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I bought the album In Silico pretty much just after it was released after it was recommended by the guy in HMV (I just didn't know what to buy, and figured I could return it if I didn't like it at the time). I've been listening to it non-stop since then, and I really enjoy it, especially it's different to the usual dance and trance that I listen to.

But, reading reviews on the internet, it seems that a lot of people dislike Pendulum, especially those who are hardcore drum and bass fans. What exactly is it about Pendulum that you don't like?

I ask this purely out of curiosity- I'm still going to enjoy the album no matter what.:p:

ReputationRep:
    because they're now popular~ so everyone has to hate them remember?

ReputationRep:
    I dont hate them, i dont like their new album tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louiscbrooks)
    I dont hate them, i dont like their new album tho.
    Yeah, I really, really have to buy their old album at some point and compare the two.

ReputationRep:
    I like a couple of their songs 'pendulum' 'granite' and 'tarantula'.... I think they're pretty good...

ReputationRep:
    well i dont hate them

ReputationRep:
    "Real" DnB fans don't like them because they are too mainstream.

A lot of people liked Hold Your Colour (their first album) but feel the direction taken towards a more 'rock' feel on the new album is a bad move, and prefer their earlier stuff.

A lot of people thought this about Hold Your Colour too.

I like Pendulum, I like Hold Your Colour, I don't really like Propane Nightmares, but I have yet to hear In Silico in full, so I can't judge.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and anyone who doesn't like 'Tarantula' is a nutter.

ReputationRep:
    I love Pendulum!
    Seeing them at NASS and Reading this year!
    Woo!

ReputationRep:
    I like them, i prefer In Silico over Hold your Colour. I think its because as been said its being more "rocky".

ReputationRep:
    Not my type of music if I'm honest but Slam is quite a tune.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to sound close-minded here but I can only assume it's because they use the same synth sound in most songs (then again, I haven't heard that many).

Since hearing Blood Sugar and then hearing a couple of others I really couldn't hear the difference :\. However, Blood Sugar + party goes down a treat!

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate them..

I just don't listen to them as much, as my music taste has moved on for a while.. Like it does..

I love Pendulum. I think In Silico does have some real tunes, but the whole of Hold Your Colour was absolutely top notch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue-shift)
    I'm probably going to sound close-minded here but I can only assume it's because they use the same synth sound in most songs (then again, I haven't heard that many).
    !
    This is why I don't really like Propane Nightmares (and to a lesser extent, Blood Sugar); the synth riff just sounds like a less-exciting version of the one in Slam.

But Slam is still tuneage.

ReputationRep:
    Hold Your Colour was an amazing album, got a bit bored of it once half the songs went mainstream though, it's just like that with DnB really. Once it's mainstream it ruins the song for some reason.

I don't like the direction their headed though, they used to be kind of DnB but with a distinctive unique sound to it, now they're just ****ing around with the album trying to make money it seems.

ReputationRep:
    i love them!
    saw them live about a month ago, it was amzing

i have to agree though, the older stuff is much better!

ReputationRep:
    Theyre at Projekt revolution at the end of june

...cant wait ...

ReputationRep:
    who?

ReputationRep:
    their new album is supposed to becrap.. i havent listened to it yet though so i cant comment

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.