The Student Room Group

10+ years since completing degree

Hello. I want to apply for a masters, but is this 10+ years passage of time very detrimental to a masters application? I've remained intellectual and have no personal concerns about my ability to return to study.

But are uni's apprehensive about applicants who have had a long study breaks?

I have been working full time, raising a family and getting on the property ladder. Some of my work may relate to the courses I'm considering, others not so much - just trying to get a general feel of how bad this academic break could be for applications - my acamedic reference will be fairly ancient.

If I can sneak in another questions though, please can I ask:

* How much are postgrade application fees usually? Seen one for £40, not seen any info on University of Manchester website though.

Thanks for any insight!
Pick up the phone/email an admissions tutor saying what you have above.

In general terms, there's been a huge expansion in postgrad master's degrees the last few years (scary) and whilst there are obviously competitive courses, depending on what you want there are others where pretty much anyone could get on. So in that sense I would think the admissions tutors may not be that fussed.

Why do you want to a do a master's? Why not go for a PhD?
No, many unis value postgrad students who have accumulated an extensive career history and plenty of life experience.
Postgraduate fees vary according to the course and institution.
My postgrads have cost between £8k - £13k.
I hear from friends that Oxbridge law postgrads have fees in excess of £30k, the Oxford mba fees are at £57,200.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending